setting some eggs in the bator... help please!!

wjallen05

Songster
11 Years
Apr 8, 2008
North Georgia
Okay this will be my fifth (I think) hatch... but it's been awhile so I want to make sure I am doing this right!!

My Silkie eggs came in the mail today! WOOT WOOT! I also have two eggs of my own, one from each of my OEGB hens. I have a Brinsea Octagon incubator. I have used it twice and had 100% hatch rate each time. I want to be sure I have the temp and humidity right before I put the eggs in there. Currently it is at 101 degrees and at 54% humidity. Is this okay?? Oh and it has an air fan. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Is that the same as you used on your other hatches? I always stay around 99.5 and 100 degrees and I'm using a dry hatch on this hatch, due to the fact that I had a horrible hatch last go around 1 out of 6. I think I drowned my babies when I had a huge spike in humidity around day 17. Good luck with your hatch. I hope all goes well. you seem to have a great hatch rate stick to what works for you
thumbsup.gif

well see, I can't remember what I had my temp set on last time. (yes, it's THAT bad... LOL! I have four kids though so I have a good excuse??) My first two hatches (Little Giant) were about 60%. A lot of my babies made it to the very end and then drowned.
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
It about killed me. Problems with the humidity. So I got the Brinsea incubator and the humidity never changed, and I just had to add water every few days, and the temp never changed either. I couldn't believe I had every single chick hatch BOTH times.

I thought about doing a dry hatch... I did read up on it several months ago and it's something I'm willing and wanting to try, but I hate to try it on these eggs... since I paid A LOT of money for them and had them shipped in. If they were my own eggs I wouldn't mind giving it a try, since I can always collect more.

Back
Top Bottom