Setting the incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bettacreek, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Ok, so I hear a lot about people having to set their thermostats to maintain the proper temperatures. I'm getting a forced air LG used this weekend, plus within a week or two, I'll be ordering a Hovabator forced air with auto turner. When I get these into my home and put them in their final resting place (my bathroom), what do I have to do before I put eggs into them? Is it a pain in the butt to set them? Once they're set, will I ever have to muck with them again?

2. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    I like to set mine up and let them run for atleast 2 days prior to putting eggs in. That way I can monitor the temps and humidity and make sure I am where I want to be.

When you first load up the bator with your eggs, your temps will fall and it will take some time to climb back up.... this is the time you need to fight the urge to "fix" it. Sometimes it will seem as if it is never going to reach the right temp...give it time and try not to touch it or stare at it...lol.
    Once I touch something to "fix" it then I have screwed myself up and it is a continuing downhill progression of adjustments after that. [​IMG]

I am making the assumption this is an unused bathroom. I say that because the humidity changes in a used room and you want to pick a room that stays the most frequent temp and humidity you can find. Kitchens and bathrooms tend to fluctuate because of cooking and hot water/steam etc...

Best of luck on hatching!!!!

[​IMG]

3. Bettacreek

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Used bathroom, but I've had a gage in there for about a month now, and the temp/humidity is actually incredibly stable in there.
    When the temperature changes with the heat from the eggs, do I do anything, or just let it be?

4. Bettacreek

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Ok, now I've been reading about how people get the thermostats set, then they have to meddle with them to get them back up to temperature when the eggs are added. I'd be afraid to mess with it once eggs are in there, especially because I'd like to set it once and be able to change from quail to chicken eggs and maybe do half and half at the same time. I've also heard about how temperatures spike once the eggs start to develop and make their own heat. So, how do you keep proper temperatures without totally messing it up?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by