1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Setting Today (03-02-2012)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MyNameIs86, Mar 2, 2012.

1. MyNameIs86

MyNameIs86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    Hello!
    I'm deciding to set my eggs today/tonight at 8:30pm. Since i'm doing it at night, I guess 03-03-2012 would be considered as Day 1... Correct?

Sooo that would mean March 20, 2012 would be day 18... Right?
    Or do i have something wrong? i am trying to make a table to check my work.

2. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Sounds about right!

I set my eggs late last night/today! Even though we're a day apart, we can still be hatching buddies! Haha

How many have you set? And what kind?

3. MyNameIs86

Feb 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    i am setting a dozen. Not sure what kind. i got em from a farm and forgot to ask. :(

I just set them around 8:30pm. The thermometer dropped down to 80 degrees when i put it on top of the eggs which were room temperature. Eeek.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  4. dreamer5577

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I originally set a dozen, but added 3 more today. Mine are all mutts. I have leghorns but my rooster is a red star/bantam mix. And I have another hen that is a black star/bantam mix. Many, many mutts! Haha I did end up getting a silkie egg from my neighbor. I hope it's fertile and hatches! I;d love to have a little silkie running around!

What kind of incubator are you using?

5. MyNameIs86

Feb 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    Hova Bator (Still Air) Incubator.
    I rented it for $200 (I get $150 back when I return it to the farm.)

6. dreamer5577

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Cool. I'm also using a hova bator still air. the 1602N model.

how's your temperature? Got it back to 100??

For my first hatch, I used a 5gal. aquarium homemade incubator. I ended up with 1 out of 4. So, I'm hoping for better results this time.
    So far, the temperature has been at a steady 100degrees.

Have you hatched before?

7. MyNameIs86

Feb 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    right now @ 10:29pm it is back in the 90's... But its still going... hopefully by tomorrow it will be back to normal.
    i would say this is my official first hatch but I have tried a bout 10 years ago with 1 egg in a glass aquarium w/ nothing but hay for bedding and a light. lol.
    I am pretty excited for this hatch. The eggs are from the farm, and seemed newly laid. so I'm crossing my fingers.
    It was 100 degree's prior to putting the eggs in.

8. dreamer5577

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I hope that temperature gets up there!

[​IMG] now, here's to successful hatches! :)

9. skunknchatter

skunknchatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2007
    Northern Utah
    I just set my first two eggs tonight as well. I was waiting to see if my lazy hens would lay anymore but no luck. So into the bator went my two lonely eggs. One is a leghorn x BO and the other is a Dominique or Sussex x BO. Here's to hoping at least one hatches in my home made incubator.

10. MyNameIs86

Feb 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    Awesome. We can be hatching buddies!

Just an update!
    Checked on the temperature this morning.... Its a steady 100 degrees!! It's a smudge over 100 but it's really little... smidge. lol. The incubator light keeps turning on and off as to indicate the right amount of heat. I noticed that if it goes under the 100 degrees a smidge it turns on again. So i believe it's a steady temperature.

I am keeping a data base on a calender, so if nothing hatching, I can show the guy the temperature rates per day...since he said if nothing hatches, i can keep the incubator @ no extra charge for another hatching. :)

I am growing soo antsy. This is my first hatch.

Anybody interested in buying 1 month old chicks? (If they do hatch?) I can not keep chickens. I am located in N. NJ.
    - not sure the breed yet....forgot to ask when I was @ the farm yesterday/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by