1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Setting today: Oct. 16

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BasicallyHeather, Oct 16, 2011.

1. BasicallyHeather

BasicallyHeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Lowellville, Ohio
    This is my first ever attempt to hatch eggs! There's only three in my LG 9200 w/ egg turner. Saved up the eggs from my only laying hen for the past three days (all other eggs from her have been fertile, thanks to my amorous roo). The kids and I are really excited to try, *but* I am so nervous and overwhelmed by all of the conflicting information on hatching! I know that everyone has hatches that completely fail, but I will feel so badly if we don't even get one little chick.

Anyway, is anyone else setting today?? What are you setting? Mine are leghorn/bantam cochin mutts [​IMG]

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I set 10 Black and Blue Mottled Duccles yesterday. Your chances of have a successful hatch are high, due to you using your own eggs. If you are confused follow the instructions that came with your incubator and you shouldn't go wrong. I try to keep my humidity at 45-50% for the first 18 days then take it up to 65% for the last 3 days. Others will tell you different everyone figures out what works best for them. A lot use dry hatching and have no problems, me I've never had any luck with it. Plus I've read a lot of stuff about chicks pipping and then dying with too low humidity. My temp is set between 99.5 and 100. (my has a fan, without a fan your temp should be 101-102 at egg level. Good luck with whatever way you choose. I will be your hatching buddy if you like.
    Michele

3. BasicallyHeather

BasicallyHeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Lowellville, Ohio
    Thanks! I look forward to reading the results of your hatch...you are hatching some pretty cool stuff [​IMG] I don't have the fan, so maybe I should bump up the temp a wee bit? Top of egg temp is currently reading at 99.5, wire temp at bottom is 99. Should I give it a nudge?

4. kvmommy

kvmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    I just set 20 shipped silkie eggs today! I've had horrible hatches in the past and quit for about 6 mo. but I got an auto egg turner and installed a fan to help me out. I've only ever hatched shipped eggs and many were scrambled or had broken air cells which is why so many didn't make it but of the few that got to lockdown I had many die and I know know its because the humidty was too high. I'm going to dry hatch this time and am weighing the eggs and tracking the air cells as someone had posted. I'm going to go pick up local barnyard mix to add to it tomorrow as a control group since those won't hve been shipped. I would definitely raise your temps to 101 at the top of the egg since you have a still air. 99.5 is recommended for fans and 101 for still air I believe. I'll also be your hatching buddy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by