Setting tonight!...IF I can get my temp right!

lilstar

Songster
8 Years
Apr 8, 2011
First time messing with my new bator.. been fiddling with the temp for a couple hours and I haven't been able to get it where I want it! Its a still air, bottom of the line model made by miller. It seems to really like hangingout around 106. I got it down to 104 where it is now, going to give it a few more minutes before turning it down a little more, in case its still "on its way down" from my last adjustment. I haven't had any luck yet getting it lower than this without it going down way too low. I put some wooden blocks in there to rest the thermometer on top of, since it says the temp needs to be taken from the top of the eggs.. and there's no eggs yet! I have the bator sitting on the dining room table, in a perfect 70* house. What do I gotta do to get a good temp in this thing? I think I'm going to set quite a few more eggs than I actually want chicks, because I'm not feeling optimistic at this point
hmm.png

When I set mine, also a bottom of the line still air type, I put the thermometer in and started by turning it up 3/4 of the way. When it reached 100 degrees, I turned it down until the indicator light went off, and went from there. It took my about three hours to get it adjusted, and then I watched it for twelve hours and it stayed stable. It can take several hours to level out the temps and the such.

Hmm I might be able to scavenge for some little rocks and then boil them to sanitize. Does that basically just serve the purpose of reducing the amount of space that needs to be heated, and lessening the heat "layers" in still air bators? Right now I have it at 103.. ahhh SO CLOSE! But then I wonder.. what makes me assume this thermometer is even accurate? If my thermometer runs just 1 degree warm, it could be perfect. I'm going to see if I can buy a new one and before buying will see if others in the store agree on the temp. Fairest way I can guess to figure out if its accurate? Then I'll stick that one in there with the current one and see if they agree. Will wait a day or 2 to set if I need to, but darn, I was really hoping to start tonight!

K, I'll try the rocks. Anything I should keep in mind about placement of rocks vs eggs?

Bought a 2nd thermometer today. cheapie dollar store one. I looked at several (identical) ones and most were saying the same temp, with a few oddballs that were a few degrees off from the others. I grabbed one of the ones that was matching several others hoping it was a good sign of accuracy. I put it in the bator next to the original one and they agree on the temp.. WHEW! Good sign they're accurate? And they both say 102. Except they're saying 102 at the bottom of the bator. Took them off the blocks for now because it was too difficult to balance them both up at equal heights, so I figured the main goal was to see if they matched.. and they do.. so now that I know that I'll elevate the other one back up and hope to heck I can get the temp to stay at 102! I got the eggs from my brother tonight! A solid dozen. I only want to keep 4 hens so I'll just give back any roosters or hens over 4. He only has 1 rooster, an aracauna, so all will be aracauna mix (or full, I got 2 or 3 aracauna eggs) a bunch of brown mystery eggs, and 3 bantams. Really curious to see if those bantams are viable. My brother says the rooster goes after them sometimes. I automatically assumed not to bother taking any bantam eggs but my brother is curious and wants any if I can hatch them
smile.png
should be fun!

Back
Top Bottom