Setting/Turning Eggs in Brinsea O20 Eco

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by enggass, Dec 8, 2010.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Hey all. I just got my Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco and was reading the manual. They are a bit vague as to how to 'Set' and 'Manually Turn' the eggs.
    Could someone with this model please elaborate for me?
    Thanks.

2. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    The Brinsea manuals are ridiculous. They're obviously directly translated from some other language. I don't even bother reading them.

You can do a search and find your information here on the forum. Techniques/methods for turning eggs vaguely differ from model to model... So seeking this info shouldn't be difficult.

3. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    Enngas I just got my eco 20 about 2 months ago and have only set one batch of eggs but maybe I can help. I'm definatly not an expert but to set the eggs you have to lock them down with the little wire braces that came with the bator into the slots on either end of the bator(this can be a little tricky at first ). I think mine are a little bit shortas they will not hold if you push them all the way to one end so I may try to bend them out a little to fit better or just try and use egg cartons for my next hatch. Oh also remember to set them pointy side down. as for turning the ends of the bator is hexogon I think so you just turn the whole bator, looking from the end I think it would be 45 degrees to the left this time and 45 degrees to the right next time.
    I don't know if you would use the fully straight up poition as one of the turns or not hopefully someone with way more experiance than me will let you know.

GOOD LUCK WITH HATCH DAN

4. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Quote:Thanks, I do the same thing but never thought about using the egg cartons instead of the metal bars, they really don't fit all that well, do they?

5. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    JERSEYGIRL i'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks they don't fit well . You would think as well as they make everthing else on this bator they could get this right it can't be that hard to get them the correct length and would make the eco so much easier to use and almost idiot proof.

6. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    As far as the dividers not fitting, I just went to check this out on mine. What I found was that if you put the dividers in while the egg tray is seated in the incubator, they fit snuggly at both ends - even tight. But, if you try to put them in with the egg tray out of the incubator, they appear loose and short. The incubator keeps the ends of the egg tray more upright when it is in whereas not when it is out. Go check it out and let me know what you find. I hope this is the case for you as well...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by