setting up a swap/sale(updated with ad for CL)

d1

Songster
10 Years
May 9, 2009
Saucier,Ms.
any advice on trying to start one in an area where there isnt one,like who I need to talk to(county/city officials)
any particular location that may be better then another(corner of an intersection,open field,feed store,etc.)

There isnst one with in an hour of me(that I am aware of) and its from 5-8 on saturday mornings.just trying to offer something different

Last edited:
If there are quite a few poultry people in your area then it shouldn't be too hard. We advertise heavily any place it is free. A large area for parking is very helpful much more so than actual location.
Go to this link and you can see the flyer that we put out for our swaps
www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=435548
Post on BYC for people in your area and chat with them about having a swap.
Be consistant. Even if you only have just a few people show up for the first one don't get discouraged. It takes time to get them established.
Offer things such as a hot dog lunch for donation or some other special deal to draw people in.
Talk with as many people as possible even hanging out around your local feed store. Find out what interest there is in swaps.

You just need space for the venders and places for the buyers to park. If you have a feed store in your area maybe you can see if they would let you have a swap there. At my local Tractor Supply Company I have an arrangement to have 4 swaps there a year. They hand out flyers to all of the customers, we place an ad in the local paper and here on BYC as well as Craigslist. Just some suggestions. They also carry event insurance so if anyone was to get hurt we are covered. Sometimes I have a swap at my farm and my insurance doesn't have event insurance, but my homeowners works. Another suggestion, plan far enough in advance to give people time to hatch chicks or whatever. Some of my friends plan out their hatches for swaps or maybe order extra from a hatchery, keep what they want and sell the rest. Just some suggestions.

Last edited:
thanks I never thought of the insurance....and I posted an ad on Craigslist last night just to see if there would be any intrest and had one email said they would and one that ask why I would want to start another when there is already one 45 minutes and an hour from me........DUH trying to get one closer and I wasnt aware of the one 45 minutes from me anyway

so what do you think?anything to add or take away from the ad I will be placing and making flyers for the harrison county swap/sale?

with the interest that was shown to me through emails for the swap in Harrison County, I have decided to go forward with setting up a swap. here are the details

With the interest that was shown through emails for the swap/sale in Harrison County, I have decided to go forward with setting one up. The details are as follows:

WHEN:
March 12. 8 am till

WHERE:
South east corner of Hwy 49 and Bethel Rd. (old hwy 67 for those who remember it as that)

DIRECTIONS:
From Wiggins - 3 miles south of the Stone/Harrison County line on the left
From Gulfport - 14 miles north of I 10 on the right

COST:
Nothing

Please bring small animals (i.e. dogs, cats, chickens, rabbits, PIGS (not hogs), quail (bob and Pharaoh), peafowl, turkeys, and guineas) cages, feed trough, waters, any craft items, baked/homemade goods or whatever you would like to sale/trade or whatever you want to do with your items.

So, get those incubators going and save some eggs to hatch, you know the smaller and cuter they are, the better they sale.

I, personally, am looking for quail and rumpless aracaunas.

See you all there.

Last edited:
of the emails I recieved concerning the swap/sale from the ad I placed on CL to see if anyone was interested,I got 2 emails back stating the others that were with in an hour of the location I am planning on using

and 1 is every sat in the parking lot of a feed store from 5am till 8 the other is the first and 3rd sat starting @ 8

I am not really concerned about people contacting me.Like you said the intersection is really easy to find and they can email me from the CL ad when I place it on there

I think you will do fine. Don't forget to start a thread for your swap on BYC. We have a swap twice a year at our farm and 4 times at our local Tractor Supply Company. We are currently advertising our next swap which is April 23rd (the day before Easter). At our last swaps we had around 1500 buyers and sellers. We let the vendors set up as early as they want but set a time of 9am - 3pm for the swap. Some people come from a couple of hours away. Most of the vendors get there from 6am to 8 am. We made this flyer up around Thanksgiving. We always plan our events several months in advance. Our local newspaper has an online event calendar on which we post our event as far in advance as possible. I always post our flyer in our craigslist ads. We also now have a facebook page,
Click here ---> Florida Farm Swap Meets

We have some additional demonstrations and other things scheduled, since we made this flyer that aren't on it.
TSCSwap4-23-11_1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom