Setting up Brooder, what amount watt do you all choose to use?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wannabchick, Dec 19, 2010.

1. wannabchick

wannabchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    Curious what has all worked for you, I got a clear plastic tub, filled with shavings, and well... got an infraed red light, lightbulb is 150 watts

but its been on now for 10 minutes and says in the one area, where the themometer is sitting, 100 degrees...

Playing with it.. but what do you all purchase???????????????????

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  2. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    I use whatever light I have lol I dont worry about red or white lights because I can't really tell the difference in how well they work. Also I dont use a thermometer, I let the chicks tell me how hot or cold they are. If they all huddle, I lower it. If they are panting, I raise it.

3. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    Quote:I do the same thing. I use a 125 watt white bulb (as I can't see paying $10 for a bulb just because it is red). I tend to have to raise it during the day and lower it at night according to room temp and how the babies are acting.

PS- you may want to edit your title, a broody is a hen sitting on eggs, you are asking about a brooder! [​IMG]

4. wannabchick

wannabchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    Quote:I do the same thing. I use a 125 watt white bulb (as I can't see paying $10 for a bulb just because it is red). I tend to have to raise it during the day and lower it at night according to room temp and how the babies are acting.

PS- you may want to edit your title, a broody is a hen sitting on eggs, you are asking about a brooder! [​IMG]

hahhaaaaaaaaa/// you mean I cant set the temp to the broody... LOL
    thank you
    xoxo

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I use a 250 watt Red. and pray to the Lord that it never burns out on me in the middle of the night for the first four weeks.

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I use (depending on the time of year) one 100 watt bulb inside my mud room OR up to three 100 watt bulbs in the garage. (Always secure it two ways, not clamped due to flying chickens- far enough away from shavings and wood so you are not creating a fire hazard.)

But then after about a week, out to the coop with two 100 watt bulbs (because it is a rabbit hutch).

Then, down to one 100 watt bulb in another coop, then 60 watts, then nothing.
    I check my temps with a thermometer when I make a change, and follow the guidelines for chicks.
    [​IMG]

7. Rainwolf

Rainwolf De La Menagerie

Aug 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    In my brooder I start with a 100W bulb then reduce to 75W then 60W then 40W then only on at night then off lights.

I change the bulb rather then raise/lower the light that way my light source is fixed in 1 place and less likely to get loose and cause problems. This also allows me to clean the bulb coming out and put a clean one in, as it will get dusty etc.

8. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

Depends on the time of year here in MN. Sometimes I am running 2- 250w bulbs in the spring. Mid summer I may only be running a couple 60w bulbs.

I am using a reptile thermostat to set the temps. That way I don't have to change the bulb wattage if I have a warm day [​IMG]

I think there is a huge thread in the Raising Chicks section showing alot of peoples set-ups.

9. Petej

Petej Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    I have a very large merchandise tub from a Montgomery Ward store that went out of business and sold off all the store stuff.

Ove that tub I put some 1/4 inch hardwire so they can't get out and the dogs/cats of the house can't get in. On top of the wire, goes the Heat lamp.

The Tub BTW, is HUGE! 2 foot deep, 3 feet on each side. With the 150 watt red heat lamp in the corner on top of the screen, we get about 100 degrees.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by