Setting up the bator and nervous as heck.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HeatherLynn, Aug 20, 2010.

1. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Any tips to avoid problems? I have a sponge ready for low humidity dips. I have it warm so its ready to accept my future babies. Hubby is trying to find the 2nd thermometer. I have paper towels ready. Eggs are marked so I can keep track of turning them. No auto turner and an 18 year old incubator. Hubby is getting prepared by studying up on homemade bators just in case. Anything I am missing?

I have studied the sticky posts, gathered what I could out of books, talked to my 90 year old chicken lady friend. Now I am just nervous to start. Everyone tells me that chickens are easier to hatch than geese and ducks. Is that really true. I have done both of those successfully, actually with the same bator. I am hoping its easier.

All suggestions welcome. These are all barnyard mixes so I am really hoping I have some interesting additions.

2. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    If you've hatched geese and ducks you'll be fine! [​IMG]
    The only thing I'd add is an oven thermometer. The kind with the probe that goes inside but the main unit stays outside (connected by a wire cable). I have mine set at 101, so if I get a temperature spike the alarm goes off and I can come running. My bator is a fan cooled cabinet incubator so I keep it at 99-100. For still air 100.5 is ideal so set the alarm for 102 or 103. A short time at either temp won't kill the eggs but you'll catch it in time to open it up a bit to cool off before they have to sit in a too hot bator for very long.

3. LaurenM23

LaurenM23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    King George, VA
    You'll do just great!!! Just remain calm and confident. [​IMG]

4. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    I didn't think of an oven thermometer. Off to the store for me. I have 2 thermometers right now. One says 92, the one that came with the unit says 102. I am going to have more thermometers than eggs lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by