Setting up the outdoor coop - have questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by webs66, Sep 2, 2008.

1. webs66

webs66 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2008
    Rhode Island
    We are setting up our outdoor coop and run, and a have a few questions. Sorry but I'm still new to all this.

1. Can we use tree branches with the bark still on for roost poles? I had heard that you have to take off the bark because of mites.
    2. We have had nights in the 50's here and I'm not sure when we should wean them off the heat lamp. They are 3 1/2 week old budd orps.
    3. When will they be to heavy for a hawk to grab. We are building a very large run (20 x 36) and my husband does not want to put a roof on it but I'm concerned about the hawks.
    4. They have been locked in the coop since saturday evening and the outdoor run probably won't be ready until tomorrow afternoon at the earliest is that long enough for them to go back into the coop on their own after they have been out? I really don't want to have to chase 25 chicks back into the coop.

Thanks

2. webs66

webs66 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2008
    Rhode Island
    Don't mean to be impatient, but we are working on this today and was hoping to get advice from all of you knowledgable people.

3. Bi0sC0mp

Bi0sC0mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Raiford,FLA
    for roosts 2x4" are prefered with the flat side up better on there feet in cold places..
    i give them a couple more weeks on the lamp to be on the safe side.
    they will never be to heavy for a hawk a hawk can carry off an adult chicken.. so you do need a top on the run or you take a huge chance of losing some chickens
    yeah at night time they will head back in if not use some food or treats to show them where to go..

good luck hope this helps..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by