settle a marital dispute?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by belgie, Jun 17, 2011.

1. belgie

belgie Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2011
    I just brought home 26 meaties this morning and all is going well so far. the coop has been separated into 2 sections with a chicken wire wall so there is lots of ventilation one side for 6 layers and the other side for the chicks brooding area. the coop has 2 windows one on each side and I think the one with the chicks should be closed at night ( we do live in Canada and it cools off at night) but dh thinks its ok left open. So far the temp has dropped from 90 to 80 and its a while until the sun comes up. Should we lower the heat lamp or shut the window?

2. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG]

I depends on how cool it will get in there with the window open. If you can maintain a good temperature for the birds and there is not a cold breeze blowing into the coop and the window is predator proof, the extra ventilation could be a good thing. If the coop already has good ventilation, I would probably close the window.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Can something push through the open window? If so, I'd close it. Just about everything eats chicken.

I usually close mine, but I don't want to wake up super early from the crowing. (my window on coop #1 is a flip top type - so the plywood that closes the window also keeps it dark)

4. urban hen momma

urban hen momma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    My vote would be raise the light and shut the door!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by