sevan dust?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hdowden, Feb 4, 2012.

1. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    how can you use this safly with chickens? and can someone post a pic of the packageing of seven dust so i can make sure i'm thinking of the right dust. i'm getting some new oegb hens and want to dust them and warm them before introducing them to their husband ( domino has three wives lol)

2. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Well this is what I got from walmart,home depot,or lowes. I have seen poultry dust at the feed store,and it might have the same ingredients.
    Some mix it in the bedding,dust baths,and place on roosting area.

When I used it I would grab each chicken and pat some dust at the vent area,under wings,and the neck. I tried putting one in a bag and dusting from the neck down,but that did not work out.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sevin-5-Percent-Dust-1-lb-3pk/16795191

Time I checked for bugs. I found some on hen that was prolapsed,and ended up treating everyone.

3. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    ok. its the stuff i was thinking of just wanted to make sure.

can others please let me know how yall apply this?

4. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    There are a lot of people who use it. I am not one of them. It is poison. It kills the good bugs while killing the bad. It is extremely harmful to the honey bee, which we need to grow veggies. I use DE, yes a lot of others will say that it doesn't work, but it does for me, for what I use it for. Makes poop boards dryer, poo dries and is easier to clean, for me, I use as a mite preventive in nesting boxes, coop floor and on roosts.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I use it and truly it is the only thing that works for me.

I also buy the liquid spray to spray the roosts and the wood when I clean out the nest boxes.

Glad bees don't come into the coop.

6. chikinfarmr

chikinfarmr Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2011
    Southern tip of Illnois
    I have used it too for a bad mite infestation. I now use DE unless I get another mite problem the DE will not handle. I haven't fed DE to them though. Some do.

7. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    how did yall apply it to the chickens? did you just put on certain spots or all over the body?

8. chikinfarmr

chikinfarmr Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2011
    Southern tip of Illnois
    I had a dusting box in their coop with dirt and a little seven dust in it. They dusted themselves. I also dusted their roost house, roosts, nesting boxes, and floor with a little seven dust. I dusted the worst infested hens by hand. That sucked, for me and them. They do not like to be handled. I now have the dust box filled with dirt and a little DE in it.

9. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

The 2 techniques I've read mostly about is putting the chicken in a bag with some of the powder, hold the bag around the chickens neck, then shaking the powder around the chicken. You do want to get it down to the skin under the feathers, paying attention to the belly, wingpits, and vent areas. Do not use it on their heads.
    Or filling a toe of a nylon stocking and using it like a powder puff.
    Both seem like they would be difficult especially for 1 person.
    You also need to treat the coop, parasites can & will hide in the cracks and crevices of the coop.

Here's some info:

http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

Imp

10. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio

When there are no bees to pollenate the veggies and fruit trees we will all have nothing to eat but meat, oh yeah I forgot they eat pollenated stuff also. So future generations won't have anything to eat. I think I can tolerate a few bees.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by