Seven Baby Chicks Died

figsonwheels

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 17, 2009
Southwest Missouri
Came home from work to find that seven of my 15 new baby chicks had died. They were almost 2 weeks old. I think it was the heat. It was almost 100 degrees here and they were out of water. I feel awful. I've moved the others to a waterer with a larger capacity and I'm checking them more frequently. Even Sahara, the mamma chick was lethargic.
hit.gif
My other chickens on an automatic waterer are fine.

Last edited:
How awful.

The heat is really awful. It is over 100 for the 4th straight day here in eastern Kansas, and with the humidity in the 40s and 50's it is suffocating.

hugs.gif
Oh man, I've had a similar incident with my broilers... they were 6 or so weeks old and I ran out of water and didn't know it, lost 3 almost 4. The fourth one couldn't stand, but I forced him to drink and forced him to move though he'd shake when he did. So I sat him next to food and water, the next morning I couldn't tell which one he was. So sorry for your loss, I know how you feel that you forgot to make sure they had plenty of water
sad.png
It happens, just means we'll keep an eye on the water better, I put a second bowl in to make sure they didn't run out. The heat index here is reaching above the 100's, cept when it rains
smile.png
which I have a love/hate relationship with the rain right now!

Thanks. I came home today to see that my wonderful husband had put in an automatic waterer to the babies pen for me, so they should not be out of water again. The other waterer is still in the pen just in case.

Back
Top Bottom