Seven Baby Chicks Died

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by figsonwheels, Aug 12, 2010.

1. figsonwheels

figsonwheels Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Southwest Missouri
    Came home from work to find that seven of my 15 new baby chicks had died. They were almost 2 weeks old. I think it was the heat. It was almost 100 degrees here and they were out of water. I feel awful. I've moved the others to a waterer with a larger capacity and I'm checking them more frequently. Even Sahara, the mamma chick was lethargic.[​IMG] My other chickens on an automatic waterer are fine.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  2. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    How awful.

The heat is really awful. It is over 100 for the 4th straight day here in eastern Kansas, and with the humidity in the 40s and 50's it is suffocating.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Oh yeah, this heat is just awful.....in the upper 80s and 90s here in Ohio.......Sorry that happened to you.......[​IMG]

4. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    So sorry....that must have been a very sad sight to come home to [​IMG]

5. nicoletm24

nicoletm24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    [​IMG]
    so sorry to hear that. it's in the 100s here in NC too lately, at least with the heat index...rough on the poor birds.

6. stanglover2001

stanglover2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    [​IMG] Oh man, I've had a similar incident with my broilers... they were 6 or so weeks old and I ran out of water and didn't know it, lost 3 almost 4. The fourth one couldn't stand, but I forced him to drink and forced him to move though he'd shake when he did. So I sat him next to food and water, the next morning I couldn't tell which one he was. So sorry for your loss, I know how you feel that you forgot to make sure they had plenty of water [​IMG] It happens, just means we'll keep an eye on the water better, I put a second bowl in to make sure they didn't run out. The heat index here is reaching above the 100's, cept when it rains [​IMG] which I have a love/hate relationship with the rain right now!

7. KristaChickenWhisperer

KristaChickenWhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    Lake Stevens, WA
    So sorry you had to come home to that! How awful! [​IMG]

It's about to get really hot over here in Washington State too. I am so worried my girls aren't going to handle it well.

8. figsonwheels

figsonwheels Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Southwest Missouri
    Thanks. I came home today to see that my wonderful husband had put in an automatic waterer to the babies pen for me, so they should not be out of water again. The other waterer is still in the pen just in case.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by