Seven day egg has slight smell. Dead?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rarebear, Feb 13, 2013.

1. rarebear

rarebear Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2012
    North Carolina
    I have 41 eggs in the incubator. Since they are all blue, green or dark brown it is very difficult to see inside. They all look like the spaces are being filled and growing inside the shell but one egg seems to have a slight sulpher (sp?) odor. I have been trying to find a blood ring and did see a thicker dark line just under the yolk area, So at 7 days with the egg pointing down I can see the airspace, about 1 1/2 inches of darkness, then a thick horizontal line and then clear. What do you think?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If I had a smelly egg I would dispose of it before it explodes and ruins all of them.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    If it has a sulphur smell, I would not take a chance. I'd get rid of it. Sulphur is the rotten egg smell. It's just not worth taking a chance.

I understand the problem of seeing inside. I just had 6 out of 6 hatch from green eggs that I could see absolutely nothing at any stage when I candled.

4. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    if you take the eggs out and check'm 1 by 1 you will find the offender quite fast, just don't sniff 2 deep if you use the sniff test!

5. rarebear

Apr 5, 2012
    North Carolina
    Yup, I sniffed 42 eggs and found the one offender. Nasty. Thanks everyone!

1 person likes this.
  6. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I had friends I gave a call duck and rouen hen to, she layed 13 eggs and they hatched but 2 and they wanted to know if they should wait on them, I went to their house and sniffed the egg- and about knocked myself out, yup they were bad!

7. rarebear

Apr 5, 2012
    North Carolina
    This is my third hatch. Last year I had eggs stop but never smell. Th8s morning when I opened the bator I could smell it...but then did each egg to make sure. It was easy to spot the offender. YUCK

8. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    There's your sign.
    Definitely not a living thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by