seven dust?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GYPSYFARM2, Aug 17, 2011.

1. GYPSYFARM2

GYPSYFARM2 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2011
    Hi all:) has anyone ever heard of using "seven dust' mixed in with play sand for the chickens to take their 'dust bath'in? It's supposed to help with parasites. But I'm a little worried it may be bad for them.

2. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    Yes, I've heard of that. I have not done it. My mother used to dust her chickens with Sevin all the time and it never seemed to hurt her chickens. So putting a little in their bath dirt may not be a bad idea. I put it under the bedding in their nests.

3. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

4. DurangoCal

DurangoCal Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    Durango, Colorado
    My local feed store recommended using 1 cup of sevin dust in ashes. I put some ashes in a shallow box and added a cup of the sevin dust. They take their dust bathes in there!

5. GYPSYFARM2

GYPSYFARM2 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2011
    Ha! Found it! (Sorry, I posted this then couldn't find it). Thanks everyone for answering my post (gonna give it a try this morning:)

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I also have moved away from Sevin for all applications, garden, chickens, etc. I have found equally as effective products with far less risk of carcinogens.

7. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    I used Sevin dust in the past but have moved to DE for the chickens. Lots of info on these forums for DE. Give it a look. Completely safe.

8. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Fred's Hens :

I also have moved away from Sevin for all applications, garden, chickens, etc. I have found equally as effective products with far less risk of carcinogens.

Can you share what you use? Even though we are not exactly organic we've been chemical free at home, for the most part, since our kids were babies.​

9. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by