Seven Dust ?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GPowell, Jan 31, 2014.

1. GPowell

GPowell Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2014
    Eastern North Carolina
    I don't mean to beat a dead horse but I had a few questions about seven dust .I went out and bought some seven dust today for preventing, and treating my hens when and if they should ever get lice or mites. I scoop out their droppings everyday from inside the coop. I try and keep it as clean and tidy for them as I possibly can.
    My question(s) are can I use seven dust inside the coop? I have sand on my coop floor. Under the roosting bars I have linoleum tile covered with sand. Can I just integrate some seven dust in with the sand and mix it around a bit? Or should I take all the sand out and sprinkle seven dust directly on the floor then cover it back up with sand?
    can I use it with sweet PDZ?

Can I put It in the nesting boxes that they haven't used yet? [​IMG]I used the saw dust from the coop build mixed in with some extra fresh un used aspen shavings that I use for my ball pythons.

can I use it on the roosting bars?

Can I use it in the run area outside, like in there dust bath holes? I have a feeder close to were they like to take there dust bath so would that create a problem if they ingested some seven dust off the ground while pecking at some food?
    I haven't seen any signs of mites or lice but I will lightly seven dust my hens directly tomorrow strictly as a preventative.

I don't want to overthink this I just want to be thorough and not harm my hens.

2. Scott H

Scott H Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Twin Lakes, ID
    My Coop
    I wouldn't use it until you see mites. Not every one has to deal with mites

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sometimes lice and mites hide and are very hard to see. If you want to do an interesting experiment, dust a hen and put her in a box on white parer towels, cover the box and come back in 30-40 minutes, you might be surprised.[​IMG]

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  4. Scott H

Scott H Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Twin Lakes, ID
    My Coop
    Dawg had a great way to dust the coop. After cleaning it out, put a pile of Sevin in the doorway of the coop and hit it with a leaf blower. That would put it in every nook and crevice.

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    That just gave me an idea... I don't have a leaf blower, but I do have a shop vac that I could use instead!

-Kathy

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    X2. I had chickens for several years without seeing lice or mites until a friend gave me a young cockerel this past year. I would not put Sevin in the dust bath, but I have used it in Sweet PDZ, on roosts, nest boxes mixed with pine shavings. In dust baths, I like wood ash (from the fireplace) mixed into dirt and sand. Some also use peatmoss, The wood ash is a preventative against lice/mites, but if you every see them, use the Sevin on the birds.

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You better wear a gas mask, LOL. When I was young, I stupidly sprinkled Sevin dust on my carpet to treat fleas, and broomed it in, then vacuumed it up. So far I haven't died from that, but I wouldn't recommend it.

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    D'oh! That's pretty silly. And yes, wise to wear a mask! Did it kill the fleas, lol?

-Kathy

9. GPowell

GPowell Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2014
    Eastern North Carolina
    Thank you all for the great advise. I will be getting the leaf blower out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by