Seven eggs from six chickens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PattyO, Oct 27, 2010.

1. PattyO

PattyO Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2010
    I have six golden comet pullets that are approximately six months old. They started laying Sept 15. At least four times now I have gotten seven eggs, five normal and too extremely soft that dropped through the roost bars of the cube. They eat Purina Layena crumbles free choice at all times and in the evening that get a snack usually a combination of kale, collards apples sometimes brocolli or cauliflower, melons. Not a whole lot just enough to fill an average dog bowl. They are allowed to roam my small back yard and average of three hours a day longer when I dont have to work. I do not presently give an additional calcium source as I have read that too much in the young bird can cause kidney damage. Should I be giving them additional calcium and if not now then when? I also have not been giving them grit is this necessary If I dont feed scratch?

2. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    YES!!! Give them calcium. When people say to avoid excess calcium in young birds, they mean before they begin laying. Once they start laying, they need more calcium than they can just get in feed, so you really need to add a supplemental source. Your best bet is oyster shell, but you can also crush their own egg shells and feed those to them.

Good luck [​IMG]

3. PattyO

Oct 25, 2010
    Thanks Spring Chicken just give it free choice? What about grit?

4. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Starting with the grit question, there are varied opinions on here. Some always offer grit, and some never do but may offer eggshells back to the chickens. It is often said they will pick up enough grit from the ground if they free range. I think it depends on your soil type. It would be helpful if you had included a general location in you profile. We have sandy soil; I offer grit because I feel the sand grains may be too small. It has been over a year since I ran out of grit, and I am talking about a small bag, probably cost $8 or $9 at TSC. (I have 17 chickens.) My answer is essentially the same for oyster shell, except it should be noted that studies have shown that some hens need more calcium than others. Also, soft shell eggs can be a fluke in the egg laying process, but they can also mean there is not enough calcium in at least one hen's diet.

Young chickens can indeed have kidney damage from too much calcium, but that applies to very young chickens, those who have not reached laying age, not to laying pullets or hens. Actually I have read that it stops being a problem around 12 weeks.

If you do decide to offer grit and oyster shell, offer them separately, and separate from the feed, so only those who need it need take any, and they can adjust the quantity. All you need is a couple of plastic drink bottles cut off and screwed to the coop wall, or something similar.

5. PattyO

Oct 25, 2010
    Thanks so much for the info!

6. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Quote:Yep, I give oyster shell to mind free choice. I don't offer mind grit, but they are free ranged. I agree with what ddawn said though, if you decide to give them both, offer them in separate containers.

7. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    My BR has laid 2 abnormal eggs in a day about 3 or 4 times since she started laying. She gets oyster shell, crushed egg shell and layer feed. It's important to offer them all these things, but don't worry too much if it takes an individual bird longer to work out the egg production thing than others. [​IMG]

8. PattyO

Oct 25, 2010
    You all sound very knowledgeable. I would love to know what your very favorite book on chicken keeping might be.

9. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Mine very favorite information on raising chicken is the information that I get here from post like this!

10. PattyO

Oct 25, 2010
    Yes I get that but I cant take the computer to bed with me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by