Seven hens and avg. 1 egg a day

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by newstart44, Oct 19, 2013.

1. newstart44

newstart44 New Egg

Dec 19, 2011
    We have 7 hens (4 one year olds and 3 two year olds) who haven't been laying well for months. I have looked (using ideas from this site) for egg eaters, we have looked for pests, we have adjusted feed. we are at a loss. Two are clearly molting now and I know one of the molters hasn't been laying for ~ 2 months but was before that.
    Ideas?!

2. hannahrachel

hannahrachel Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2013
    Kansas
    The cause might be molting, but it could also be a weather change--a sudden drop in temperature has been known to stop my hens from laying.

3. As hannahrachel said it could be molting. Are they free-range? If so they could have hidden a nest somewhere like in a bush or somewhere hidden. My hens do that sometimes.
    Good Luck!

4. newstart44

newstart44 New Egg

Dec 19, 2011
    It isn't temp. we live on the CA coast and have only about a 20-30 degree swing in a year. They were free range until a year ago. My yard looked more like the area around the Maginot Line, so we gave them a large run. I will say it is in a shady area so there is not many hours of direct sun.

5. newstart44

newstart44 New Egg

Dec 19, 2011
    Ps. We regularly check for hidden nests.

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Molters can quit for a long time, and if they are doing a partial molt it might not be really noticeable. What breeds are they, some breeds lay better than others depending on their age and time of year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by