Seven Month Old Jersey Giant...in Molt??

Texizona

In the Brooder
Aug 22, 2021
Hey y'all!!
I'm a new chicken mom, so of course, I worry when something is wrong that I can't clearly diagnose. All my girls (9 total) are about seven months old now.

One of my Jersey Giants (Minnie Lee) looks to be going through a Molt. I didn't think they would do that until next fall, because they are still so young. But, she's looking pretty rough.

This morning when my husband let them out, he noticed that her comb and wattles are very pale. Or, at least more so than before. I have read that as they're hormone levels are lower, that will happen, but I'm not sure that's what's going on or not.

She is at the very bottom of the pecking order in our flock, but insists on sleeping on the top roost at night. So, she does get nipped by the more dominant girls on the roost while everyone is trying to get settled for the night.

She is still eating and drinking fine; although, I don't know how much she gets since she's lowest in the pecking order. And she doesn't seem to be lethargic or in pain. I have also read that going through a molt is very uncomfortable for them, so I try not to mess with her too much...as far as pets and holding her, etc.

This is a picture of her on October 7th. She is the big beautiful girl with black feathers directly behind me.
20211007_170157.jpg

This is her today.
JPEG_20211113_121655_382883057373697888.jpg

Is this just her going through a molt? Or do any of you suspect something else?
Any help and/or advice you can give this worried chicken Mama would be greatly appreciated.

Thank y'all for your input! ❤

Knowing that the two of you had girls that went through it early, makes me feel a bit better. I guess I will just keep a close eye on her and hope she gets through it before it gets too cold outside. I've been trying to give her a little more protein than the other girls (black soldier flies a couple times a week), but maybe I'll increase it just a little bit more...one more serving a week. I'll give her some scrambled eggs tomorrow. She loves those. 😊

Hey y'all!!
I'm a new chicken mom, so of course, I worry when something is wrong that I can't clearly diagnose. All my girls (9 total) are about seven months old now.

One of my Jersey Giants (Minnie Lee) looks to be going through a Molt. I didn't think they would do that until next fall, because they are still so young. But, she's looking pretty rough.

This morning when my husband let them out, he noticed that her comb and wattles are very pale. Or, at least more so than before. I have read that as they're hormone levels are lower, that will happen, but I'm not sure that's what's going on or not.

She is at the very bottom of the pecking order in our flock, but insists on sleeping on the top roost at night. So, she does get nipped by the more dominant girls on the roost while everyone is trying to get settled for the night.

She is still eating and drinking fine; although, I don't know how much she gets since she's lowest in the pecking order. And she doesn't seem to be lethargic or in pain. I have also read that going through a molt is very uncomfortable for them, so I try not to mess with her too much...as far as pets and holding her, etc.

This is a picture of her on October 7th. She is the big beautiful girl with black feathers directly behind me. View attachment 2897520

This is her today. View attachment 2897515

Is this just her going through a molt? Or do any of you suspect something else?
Any help and/or advice you can give this worried chicken Mama would be greatly appreciated.
I have a Polish that looks just like this, started about 3 days ago. Feathers everywhere in the coop in the morning. And bare beck too. She is 7.5 months.

I was wondering the same thing as you, Basil is also bottom of the pecking order, so thanks for asking. Extra protein it is ;)

I've been trying to give her a little more protein
I feed starter/grower all the time, because it has more protein. All Flock does too, but I can't find one that is organic. (Oyster shell on the side for calcium.)

I bought Calf Manna at TSC to give as a snack add-on 3-4x a week because it has 25% protein (I think, or more?). I make a mash out of their regular food for their afternoon snack, and add about 1/3 cup (total, for 7 birds) of Calf Manna. You can get a 10 pound bag, and it'll last a long time.

I feed starter/grower all the time, because it has more protein. All Flock does too, but I can't find one that is organic. (Oyster shell on the side for calcium.)

I bought Calf Manna at TSC to give as a snack add-on 3-4x a week because it has 25% protein (I think, or more?). I make a mash out of their regular food for their afternoon snack, and add about 1/3 cup (total, for 7 birds) of Calf Manna. You can get a 10 pound bag, and it'll last a long time.
I didn't even think about starter/grower feed for the extra protein! Thank you for saying that! 😃 I've never seen Calf Manna. I'll have to look for that. Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom