seven month old peafowl!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by bravevline, Feb 13, 2014.

1. bravevline

bravevline Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2013
    i worry that my peafowl arent growing right due to the small area they are being kept in!!! could somebody put up pictures of their seven mo th old old peafowl pretty please!?!?!?

2. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    These guys and gals were all right around 7 months when I took these pictures. I'm afraid there isn't a whole lot in the pics to use for scale, as far as their size goes. How small is their area and can you post pics of them? [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If they weigh 2.5kg to 3.5kg they're fine. Like DylansMom, my pictures won't have anything to use for scale. [​IMG]

-Kathy

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  4. bravevline

Apr 30, 2013
    i think mine are much smaller!!! the area is about 5 ft long, only goes back about 1.5 ft, And 2 ft tall!!! i keep trying to get my grandfather to take them down to the farm, but he just wont do it!!!

5. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    Wow, your pen sounds way, way, way too small.
    How many peas do you have?
    They should have at least 100 square feet per bird, and the ceiling of your pen should definitely be at least 6 feet.
    They must not have perches if their pen is only 2 feet tall? Do they have to sleep on the ground?

If you can't build them a bigger pen or get them taken to the farm, I suggest that you try to find them a new home where they can be safe and comfortable.
    I'm not trying to be unfriendly, but that pen sounds cruel to me.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  6. bravevline

Apr 30, 2013
    the pen is elevated but no perches. i think its quite cruel to. they have a nice home waiting for them but he wont quit being lazy and ignoring this. this pen was built for them when they were younger. it used to work quite well but theyve gotten to big. youre right; there is no reason for this. soon im going to have to go down there personally.

7. bravevline

Apr 30, 2013
    the weight is correct at least

8. bravevline

Apr 30, 2013
    youre not being unfriendly at all. sadly rehoming is not an option right now for certain reasons, but i am going to get this taken care of. thanks for the post as i had no idea. this weekend im really gonna try to get something done and i will start free ranging them in the day if not.

9. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    I'm glad to hear that you plan to try and get them moved.
    Again, please forgive me if I sounded harsh, I was just thinking about the welfare of the peas.

10. bravevline

Apr 30, 2013
    its my grandfather that needs forgiven. the other birds live on the farm already. again there is no reason for this!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by