Seven month old Silkie Pullet large crop impacted or sour?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by only1bgirl, Feb 4, 2015.

1. only1bgirl

only1bgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2014
    Oregon
    My Silkie pullet has been laying everyday about five weeks now. The last couple of days I thought she might be getting broody and she has been laying increasingly large eggs, so I've worried about her struggling with that. She's spending almost all day in nest box, I Took her out yesterday and her crop was huge, so I started in on massage, olive oil and also gave her a stool softener. I had let her out the previous day's to range and eat grass. I kept her in all night and this morning her crop is still full feeling not as full as yesterday though from a baseball to a golf ball size. She is eliminating still and it looks normal. I'm just stumped and not sure what to do at this point. I did try to vomit her without any success. I might not of been forceful enough because I don't want to hurt her. Should I be off and running to a vet or trying something else? I'm a complete rookie with keeping chickens so any advice or help would be appreciated much.

2. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
  3. only1bgirl

Apr 24, 2014
    Oregon
    Thank you! Her crop has gone down more this morning, she is still not eating or drinking much and she is full blown broody to top it off. The vet thought maybe going broody would cause this but to keep an eye on her if she refuses to eat or drink she's going in. How do you get a broody hen to eat and drink? I put the water in front of her one little drink that was it.

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

A broody hen needs very little food. Provide her food and water far enough from the nest that she HAS to get off of the nest to eat and drink. If you set the feed where she can reach it without leaving the nest, she will poop in the nest. Poop in the nest is NOT good for the eggs.

1 person likes this.
  5. only1bgirl

Apr 24, 2014
    Oregon
    She won't budge without me picking her up, so I just took her outside and she went poo and had one drink and back on the nest, her hatchmate laid an egg this morning she rolled it under her. I gave her six of her eggs back and now her sister has decided she's going to brood with her. I do think her crop was full of grass she seems to have passed it all now. Broody girls are in the house now in a kennel. I'm just going to take them outside 3 times a day. I'm Relieved her crop has gone down and she appears to have passed the grass through. Lesson learned no ranging an unmowed yard! I'm also thinking I have no need for an incubator anymore.

6. enola

She won't need to go outside 3 times a day. She should not be off the eggs that many times each day

1 person likes this.
  7. only1bgirl

Apr 24, 2014
    Oregon
    She was off maybe three minutes, I walked her out the door sat her down she pooed took a drink and went right back in. Should I only do this twice a day? thank you!

8. enola

A broody will only take herself off the nest once a day normally. But, twice a day is probably good. It will be funny if she learns to go out side to do her duty and learns to turn around and run back into the house like a lap dog!! Keep us posted. :)

1 person likes this.
  9. only1bgirl

Apr 24, 2014
    Oregon
    She takes her job so seriously, poor thing, I think she'd sit on those eggs without budging for 21 days if I let her. I might try and transfer her back to the coop with the other two hens when the rooster goes to his new home. It would be neat if she comes out of this potty trained. [​IMG]

10. only1bgirl

Apr 24, 2014
    Oregon
    Potty training is going well, LOL! She's still brooding away, candled her eggs and three have chicks developing, I don't think any of them are hers though, was really hoping they were, she's a beautiful grey partridge. The eggs are from my buff hen which is good since the rooster was buff too. Her crop seems to be in good shape now. I really think letting her brood helped it shrink back down and hopefully heal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by