Seven Months -- They've Gotten So Big!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by 3KillerBs, Feb 8, 2014.

1. 3KillerBs

3KillerBs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    North Carolina Sandhills
    The chicken are just about 7 months old. I've got at least 5 of the hens, possibly all 6 laying and my unexpected rooster is behaving himself nicely so far.

[​IMG]

Marion, who was Rosemary until he grew hackles and started to crow. He's a big boy -- already about 2 feet tall -- but so far the reputation of Brahma roosters as gentle giants is holding. He keeps his distance from me and manages to do his duty by the ladies without even significantly ruffling their feathers. I do keep telling him though that he should wipe his feet first. The Delawares always have rooster footprints on their backs.

[​IMG]

I'm not sure if the Dark Brahma hen there is Noodle or Kiev. They're identical except for behavior. Noodle is bolder and more friendly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Noodle is the one in front with the blurry head. Kiev to the left, Nugget to the right, Sesame is in the middle back (she's small even for a hatchery Delaware but seems to be my most reliable layer), Dumpling is the other Delaware and that's Barbie's tail at the very edge.

[​IMG]

Our youngest son takes his job of checking the nestboxes for eggs very seriously.

[​IMG]
    He's so proud when he finds one.

[​IMG]
    Nugget, the hatchery Langshan who was the runt of the batch lays pixelated eggs. Its hard to get a good photo, but if you saw one IRL you'd see that it was mottled in brown and white in a finely speckled pattern. They're quite pretty.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    You have a gorgeous flock. And your rooster is a beauty! [​IMG]

Thank you for sharing!

3. lularat

lularat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    NC
    Gorgeous flock! You'll have to teach Marion to wipe his feet before duty calls. [​IMG]

4. 3KillerBs

Jul 10, 2009
    North Carolina Sandhills
    I didn't intend to get a rooster since I live in town but if I had gotten one on purpose it would have been a Brahma.

You can see that he's only a hatchery bird because of the pinched tail, but he definitely catches the eye. I love the Brahmas' dinosaur heads and the look of the pea comb.

5. 3KillerBs

Jul 10, 2009
    North Carolina Sandhills

Teaching manners to teenage boys is always an uphill battle. [​IMG]

6. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

That's a beautiful flock! Love your pics too! I'm with your son, I take egg collecting seriously also! [​IMG] Enjoy them all!

7. 3KillerBs

Jul 10, 2009
    North Carolina Sandhills
    Thank you. I'm very happy with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by