Seven to eight week old chicks acting sick. Please help as soon as possible.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Yrovel, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Yrovel

Yrovel New Egg

Feb 28, 2017
    Hello, this is my first post. So I hope I'm not messing up.
    I've been raising around two dozen Ameraucanas and having some "issues". They're all around seven to eight weeks old now.
    Last night, I noticed one of them was being a bit slow. However all of the other chicks were acting healthy.
    However. Today, I found her and another chick laying on their sides, I'd also found a different chick, that acted completely healthy just a few hours beforehand, dead. The two living ones were not caring whenever the other chicks would walk over them or peck at them.
    So, I've removed them from the cage that the others are in. However, their crops are seemingly empty and they're not eating or drinking whenever I put them by the food or water containers that I have for them.
    So, I'm really unsure on what I can do for these two. And I'm worried that if it is some sickness, the others might catch it also.

2. Jessimom

Jessimom Cats Rule Dogs Drool

Aug 21, 2009
    Southern California
    Do you see any bloody poop?

Most common is coccoidiosis. I treated mine with Corrid - 2 recovered, 3 died and the 24 other chicks never showed signs, but I treated the water with Corrid for about a week.

Good luck!!

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Pictures of the brooder setup? Have they been exposed to soil yet?

4. Yrovel

Yrovel New Egg

Feb 28, 2017
    It's runny, but I don't see any blood.
    I don't have anything to take pictures with right now. It's pretty decently sized and they've got room to run around.
    I also take them outside to walk around at times, just so they know what it's like. however it's been storming lately and I haven't been able to because of that.

5. Yrovel

Yrovel New Egg

Feb 28, 2017
  6. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Exact measurements of 'decent' size and number of chicks total? Heat lamp? Ambient temp of the brooder?

7. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Coccidia usually takes a few days to kill, not hours. The rapid deterioration usually points to overheating.

8. Yrovel

Yrovel New Egg

Feb 28, 2017
    8' by 8 feet.(Which I thought was decent. I do hope it's considered that. If not I can start making it bigger if I need to.) There's 22 chicks as of now and there is a head lamp in the corner of it which is around two or so feet off the ground. Room temperature is usually 72 degrees and has an opened window to it when it's not raining. However, I haven't checked what the temperature of the head lamp is. I really should have, but I might've...forgotten to.

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You shouldn't need a heat lamp at this age, since they should be fully feathered. Have they been avoiding the heat lamp like they were hot? Runny poops and refusing food are signs of coccidiosis. Go get Corid right away at your feed store, and start treatment right away for coccidiosis. It comes in liquid and powder packets. Mix 2 tsp of the liquid or 1 1/2 tsp of the powder in a gallon of water, changed daily for 5-7 days. Keep your brooder clean and dry. It won't make a difference if they are also on medicated feed-- it's the same medicine, but much stronger. If they won't drink, dip their beaks.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by