Sevens Dust?

ChicknChic

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 6, 2012
Tennessee
I'm a new chicken owner (2 1/2 months now) and a friend told me he uses Sevens dust on his chickens to keep mites off them. He said he's been doing this for years and it works and doesn't hurt them but I don't know. Is Sevens dust ok to use on chickens?
idunno.gif

I'm a new chicken owner (2 1/2 months now) and a friend told me he uses Sevens dust on his chickens to keep mites off them. He said he's been doing this for years and it works and doesn't hurt them but I don't know. Is Sevens dust ok to use on chickens?
idunno.gif

Yes, the 5% Sevin garden dust is used for mite and lice control on chickens.

Imp

Seven is OK to use on any warm blooded animal, but it is a poison and a dust. I would be more concerned with respiratory issues than poison absorption with any dust.

I personally avoid chemical treatment unless there is a severe problem that natural remedies can't handle in a timely manor. If your birds have a dust bath area, chances are that they will control any mite problems all by themselves. I provide a dust bath box of wood ash and DE in the winter months when the ground is frozen. I have only had an issue with scaly mites once and I treated that with Dawn dish soap with great results.

Treating your roosts with Seven may be a prudent precaution as that and nest boxes are the most likely mite transfer points.

I'm reading along here and wondering if the Sevin dust that's sprinkled in the coop and nest boxes is inhaled or otherwise ingested by the chickens, and is that ok? I know that permethrin knocks down just about anything moving...at least the kind you spray on your yard, and lasts a long time, so how different is the Sevin dust in composition? Do they sell it at TSC? Also, obviously the dust will end up on the eggs as well, any precautions there? And are you supposed to put the Sevin dust directly on the chicken or can you put it in their dust bath area? How safe is it for them...and us to work around?
idunno.gif

Permethrin is a synthetic nerve agent, of the pyrethroid family, that is virtually harmless to mammals and most worm blooded animals. Keep it away from your cats and fish. It is poorly absorbed through the skin and it has not shown to transfer to the eggs, although I would not use it if you are collecting hatching eggs as there is always the off chance of a neuralgic inhibition in the development of the chicks. Because it is a fine dust and will result in airborne residue after application, you should keep your birds out of any enclosed area that you treat for an hour or so. I would also recommend that you use a respirator, or at a minimum, a paper mask when treating in an enclosed area.

There have been numerous studies done on permethrin and all pyrethroids. It is very safe and not a carcinogen.

Permethrin is a synthetic nerve agent, of the pyrethroid family, that is virtually harmless to mammals and most worm blooded animals. Keep it away from your cats and fish. It is poorly absorbed through the skin and it has not shown to transfer to the eggs, although I would not use it if you are collecting hatching eggs as there is always the off chance of a neuralgic inhibition in the development of the chicks. Because it is a fine dust and will result in airborne residue after application, you should keep your birds out of any enclosed area that you treat for an hour or so. I would also recommend that you use a respirator, or at a minimum, a paper mask when treating in an enclosed area.

There have been numerous studies done on permethrin and all pyrethroids. It is very safe and not a carcinogen.

Thank you for your info spartacus_63. Great information to share! I was just concerned that with it being a fine dust that it would be airborne every time they scratched around and when you go to clean out the bedding etc and them ingesting it. If I go that route I will use precautions. Anyone know what percentage permethrin is the Sevin dust? And how long does it last once applied to the coop or chicken?
Thanks!
big_smile.png

Sevin does not have permethrin.

Permethrin is in poultry dusts.

The one I have is Prolap Garden and Poultry Dust. It is
0.25% permethrin.

5% Sevin is used on plants. I believe it is used off label for poultry. It is
5% Carbaryl.

There are several brands of each.

Imp

Sevin does not have permethrin.

Permethrin is in poultry dusts.

The one I have is Prolap Garden and Poultry Dust. It is
0.25% permethrin.

5% Sevin is used on plants. I believe it is used off label for poultry. It is
5% Carbaryl.

There are several brands of each.

Imp
It is (or at least was) an ON LABEL use for poultry. I think that may have changed in the last year or so. FWIW, 4H and ABA/APA showmanship books list Sevin as the treatment for mites and lice on birds.

Back
Top Bottom