several breeds full grown at what age?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gingerpeach22, Sep 27, 2010.

1. gingerpeach22

gingerpeach22 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Fairbanks
    Silver Wyandotte, Barred Rock, Light Brahama, Australorp, EE. At approximately what age have they achieved their full stature? Does this coincide with the largest sized eggs they will produce?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I only know Wyandottes well enough to say. They reach their full stature at about a year old. They reach full size pretty quickly, but they continue to gain weight and fill out until they are about 1 y.o. They start laying their biggest eggs after their first hard molt. My Wyandottes did not molt until they were nearly 2 y.o.

Hope this helped.

3. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    thanks for posting this thread I was wondering the same thing, because my pullet are tiny, and now I think they are bantam, or just small fowl but I would like to know at aproximately what age they stop growing, my girls are 26 weeks I know brahma take awhile to reach full grown but mine is still 1/2 the size of my BO hen and I don't think she is a very large chicken for her breed, and although the brahma does seem to be still getting larger she is growing very slow and the campine and andalusian seem to have stopped growing completely. if they didn't have comb and wattle you would think my birds were large pidgin or something.

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I don't consider my BLRW and SLW done growing and filling out until about 18 months.....especially the roosters.

5. tuesdays chicks

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    so I guess the average is about 18 months maybe for all chicken to be full grown? ok another question when do you stop calling it a pullet and start calling it a hen?

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I think the "official" time line is after a year they stop being a pullet and a cockeral and become a rooster and a hen.

7. tuesdays chicks

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    thanks katy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by