Several broody/ hatching questions. Expertise greatly appreciated.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wbruder17, Jan 17, 2011.

1. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I have a broody silkie. Its my first time and I have some questions that I can't seem to find answers to.

1. She WILL NOT get off the eggs. She wasn't eating so now she has scrambled eggs (which she can't resist no matter what) and water right next to her. I am worried about her physical well being. I tried to get her off to stretch her legs and she FLIPPED OUT, almost dawing blood.

2. She has been averaging 1 poo every 2 or 3 days. Is that ok? They're SUPER yucky and huge when she does.

3. She has let 2 eggs roll out from under her so far and they got cold. I put one back and scrapped the other, thinking maybe her clutch was too big. She's a silkie and now has 5 full size eggs.

That's all I can thin of right now. Ya'll already answered my other viciousness question. Thanks for all your help!

2. chocolate m'scovy

chocolate m'scovy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2010
    She doesn't get off the nest for a brief stretch once a day? If you aren't there 24-7 you might not notice her brief escapade to grab a sip of water or bite of food.

The broody poop is completely normal. Fear not. [​IMG] She saves it all for one huge disposal. Very time-efficient. [​IMG] Here is an informative and entertaining thread:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=434991&p=1

Oh, and if an egg peeps out from underneath her, you should remove it. It will likely not develop correctly due to being chilled, and some other egg too might get rotated out from under the silky's body. Remember quality is better than quantity!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I have a banty turken that was like that when she was broody. I literally had to stick the food and water right under her nose. The eggs are good and so is canned corn. They need all the nutrients they can get, because being broody is hard on a bird. Try to lift her off once a day, butif she is too visicous let her be.

4. chocolate m'scovy

chocolate m'scovy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2010
    Quote:Any threads about broodies or broody poop send an electric signal to debiraymond to come reply to them. [​IMG]

5. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    [​IMG]...That's a good thing, since its helped me out! Thanks debi.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by