Several Cochins have a 1" by 3" spot on their back with no feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kbell, Dec 28, 2010.

1. kbell

kbell Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2010
    Chickamauga GA
    I have 12 Cochins, 3 or 4 of them have a spot on thier backs that have no feathers. It measures around 1" to 3" long. It's the dark colored ones. The whites one are gorgeous with all of their feathers. Just wondering what's going on with them. If there was something I could do. Thanks!!!!

2. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    How old are they?

3. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    If it's in the same area on all of them it's probably from the rooster.

4. kbell

kbell Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2010
    Chickamauga GA
    They are around 2 months old. I can't tell which are roos and which are hens. Here's one of the white ones, the grand daughter decided it was her pet.

[​IMG]

5. RainbowBirds_of_a_Feather

RainbowBirds_of_a_Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Maui
    Aloha,

It could be feather picking. But if you have the time please post pics of the birds with feathers missing. Cause it could be molting to more adult plumage. If you are able to get a photo we could help more with the possible reasons. But you have cute chook!

6. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Might be that their bodies are outpacing their feather growth. I had a couple of black cochins with big bare patches, too. They looked terrible but they eventually feathered in very nicely. Might have something to do with the softer/looser feathering of a cochin...IDK. I am sure they are fine though. As the previous poster mentioned, it could be feather picking...make sure they have enough space. Twelve 2 month old cochins can take up a lot of space! Very cute babe!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by