1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Several Different Birds Need Identifying there fate depends on it.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MMPoultryFarms, Nov 5, 2010.

1. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    First we have what I think might be a cuckoo maran. [​IMG]

Heres a few roosters. I think are crossed with EE on 2 of them, the other 2 would be pure bred or perhaps this breed just has a beard.
    #1 Unbearded [​IMG]

#2 [​IMG]

#3 [​IMG]

heres a laying hen I think to be a buff Orp. She appears to have grey legs. [​IMG]

If any of you can help to identify these breeds so I know if We would want to keep them or sell them, we would greatly appreciate it.

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I'm sorry I can't really help you with the breeds, they all look like crosses to me.

But I do think #1 and #5 both have scaly leg mites. Best bet is to treat the whole flock, do a search for "scaly leg mites" and proceed from there. The usual treatment is either repeated treatment with oil or Vaseline to smother them or a pour on parasiticide.

3. MMPoultryFarms

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    Quote:Birds are being treated as we speak with good ol WD 40 My Girlfriend is a Home healthcare Nurse and the chickens owner was to sick to care for her Birds any longer. She asked if we would take the whole flock.So I agreed.I went ahead and medicated them.(not something I do typically) and treated them for lice,mites,and Scaly leg mites. Im uninterested in what sickeness or diseases they might have. Just there breeds. However thank you kindly for pointing that out. Im sure that was valuble information to a new chicken raiser.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Sorry, no offense intended.

5. MMPoultryFarms

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    Quote:Oh none taken Just meant these birds are being quarinteened since there new to the farm. I was aware of the leg problem so I treated and am treating it [​IMG] theres no telling how long its been since she was able to carefor her chickens there were some that were really bad off. I am just trying todecide what stays and goes. or what to even sell them as.Course even then they wont leavemy property till there fully medicated and cured of anything,

6. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I agree that they all look like mixes.

7. MMPoultryFarms

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    mixes it is then. the only other birds in her flock were americuna's

8. Raven81

Raven81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Te Anau NZ
    i think 4 is a buff she looks just like mine. 2,3 are crosses 1 looks like it could be a barnvelder. no idea on 1st pic. im no expert but thats my opinion i could be wrong

9. MMPoultryFarms

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    Only reason I suspect the 1st to be a cuckoo is th feathers on the legs and how dark her eggs are whe she lays there almost chocolate but I have never owned one so not sure. I know one of the roosters is pure and the rest are his offspring. So Barnvelder and barnvelder-EE crosses perhaps?

10. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I think the first hen does look like a golden cuckoo Marans, the others all look like mixes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by