Several Fail Eggs recently...any way to get her to eat oyster shell?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hokankai, Jan 5, 2011.

1. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    My EE started laying at 24 weeks, left a beautiful green egg out in the run [​IMG]. That was two weeks ago and since then we've had 1-3 good eggs from her and she's now layed 3 eggs with soft spots. She's been pretty inconsistent in her laying schedule anyway, but this seemed a little odd to me. Did she start laying before she was really ready? Should I give her more time to figure out the process? Any way to make sure she's getting oyster shell? What should I do?!

On a happier note, my mother found a broken egg in the run today and already collected 5 others...meaning someone else just laid their first egg! Sure they missed the target but hey! Gotta start somewhere right? Haha

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    No worries! She's still working out the kinks in the plumbing. She should be giving you more of those beautiful (normal) eggs soon. Oyster shell is not so important to new layers as it is to older layers. Any lack of calcium in new layers is taken out of their bones/bodies. The older layers who have exhausted the calcium in their bodies are the ones who really need the oyster shell. Your girl is probably well stocked with excess calcium floating around in her.

Good luck.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  3. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Ok good, that makes me feel better. She's had some issues anyway figuring out the whole routine, so I'll give her some slack. Haha

4. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    My EE's were the same. Give it a few weeks and she'll be an egg machine!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by