Several hens dying from different things.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by momsfarm, Mar 3, 2012.

1. momsfarm

momsfarm Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2011
    Two weeks ago I had a 8 mo brahma who would curl her toes, stretch her leg to straighten toes, and hop along. Was moving around although awkward. She faded neurologically and was paralyzed in 4 days. Died on 5th day. Second hen, also a 8mo brahma was fine in the morning. 3 hours later she was hunched over and puffy, eyes closed. Died an hour later. Third hen was a americana and she wassleeping alot more than usual for 3 days and when she tried to go out for sunshine, she nosedived and died. (she could have been old). 4th hen was barred rock and symptoms were same as first hen but 10 days later. Today another barred rock is off neurologically but eating and alert. I have not seen any discharge from the eyes or mouth from any of the birds. Poop is white and brown (dont know the fancy terms). Started antibiotics (tetra) this am for all 3 enclosures. Everything was cleaned and sprayed with bleach/water. What is going on? Very frustrated.

2. momsfarm

momsfarm Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2011
    Forgot to say that all the hens are fed lay pellets in the morning, scratch at night, tomatoes, scrambled eggs, and cabbage on a regular basis.

3. hmm... i cannot say for sure, but i think you might have to start over on your flock before you introduce new ones. how many left do you have? how old are they? i would clean out the coop asap, and make sure they always have clean water.. i am really no expert on illnesses, so i don't really know[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You could possibly be dealing with Marek's disease. A necropsy should be done to determine if this is what it is. You can contact your county extension agent, state department of agriculture, a college veterninary school of medicine or your local vet to find out the procedures needed to be done in order to have a necropsy performed.

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Like Dawg said, Marek's is a very good possibility. But , with how soon they die after going lame, I would still wonder about botulism, or any poison , mold, germs, anything. Those can show lameness, but death comes sooner.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Seminolewind is the expert on Marek's disease.

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida

You're sooooo nice! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by