several of my hens are pecking other in the butt and eating the feathers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by thatsmjenny, Oct 24, 2012.

1. thatsmjenny

thatsmjenny New Egg

Oct 24, 2012
    my hens are pecking each other in the butt and eating the feathers this is casuing rawness and sores why woukd they do this and how do i get it to stop thanks for any and all help

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Blue Kote or No pick applied to their rears will help.

Feather picking can be caused by cramped housing, boredom or a protein deficiency.

3. Hishigata

Hishigata Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2012
    Oddly enough someone posted on this just the other day. Perhaps it is not so uncommon? Apparently, this behavior is most common just before or right after hens lay eggs. They need lots of protein for egg production and feathers are composed primarily of a keratin, a type of protein. I would check the protein content of your feed.

As an aside, my chickens LOVE canned tuna as a protein boost. Yogurt and cottage cheese are a close second. You could always try giving your hens a protein filled snack and see if it curbs their feather appetite. I am posting the link to the other thread below incase you want to read more.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-bum-feathers-and-eating-them/10#post_9832561

4. 3 barred rocks

3 barred rocks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2013
    I have 2 barred rocks one is pecking the others butt, eating the feathers. Should i get her out of there, and keep her inside till she is fairly healed?

I did spray her with anti biotic spray

5. 3 barred rocks

3 barred rocks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2013
    Or should i put her in a dog crate in the coop?
    I did put Vetericyn on her, she seems fine...eating
    drinking, scratching...all of the "things" chickens do :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by