several of my hens are pecking other in the butt and eating the feathers

thatsmjenny

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 24, 2012
my hens are pecking each other in the butt and eating the feathers this is casuing rawness and sores why woukd they do this and how do i get it to stop thanks for any and all help

Oddly enough someone posted on this just the other day. Perhaps it is not so uncommon? Apparently, this behavior is most common just before or right after hens lay eggs. They need lots of protein for egg production and feathers are composed primarily of a keratin, a type of protein. I would check the protein content of your feed.

As an aside, my chickens LOVE canned tuna as a protein boost. Yogurt and cottage cheese are a close second. You could always try giving your hens a protein filled snack and see if it curbs their feather appetite. I am posting the link to the other thread below incase you want to read more.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-bum-feathers-and-eating-them/10#post_9832561

I have 2 barred rocks one is pecking the others butt, eating the feathers. Should i get her out of there, and keep her inside till she is fairly healed?

I did spray her with anti biotic spray

Or should i put her in a dog crate in the coop?
I did put Vetericyn on her, she seems fine...eating
drinking, scratching...all of the "things" chickens do :)

Back
Top Bottom