1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Several problems with my pet pekin

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by zanelee, Mar 17, 2015.

1. zanelee

zanelee Chillin' With My Peeps

I have an almost 4 year old female pekin duck who lives with my mutt flock of hens, ducks and goose. (yes, just one)
    We noticed yesterday that her vent was puckered out and a bit bloody (like watered down blood). I pulled her from the rest of the flock and took her inside. Let her have a warm water soak/bath in the tub, then examined her.
    I applied prep H and put her in a warm kennel with food/water. She was pooping fine, and eating/drinking a bit when I left her for the night.
    Today, she is about the same, although sensitive about her behind. Had another bath this evening, applied honey to the area and applied a bit of pressure to push it back in after about 5 minutes or so. (It didn't stay) I also gave her fresh food/water with fresh picked henbit. She chowed on the henbit and drank well.
    I ran a fecal on her and found, much to my shock and surprise, that she has intestinal parasites and mites! No signs of mites on any of my fowl. (the little beasts look very much like a canine sarcoptic mite. I'm not well versed at all in bird mites)
    So, my questions are this:
    Do I keep doing what I'm doing as far as the prolapse?
    Can I worm her now, or would that put undue stress on her at this time? Will ivermectin work on ducks and will it treat the intestinal parasites as well as the mites? And, topical or oral?
    What about the mites? Do I treat and if so, with what?

Lots of questions, so I would appreciate any help! Thank you!

2. zanelee

Really? No one has anything?

3. DemonicFowl

DemonicFowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2014
    South Eastern Mass
    My ducks have never had worms, thankfully, but let me see If I can Push you in the right direction. You should treat worms as soon as possible. An off site page http://poultrykeeper.com/duck-keeping/worming-ducks... Can't find any home site with good info... I'll keep looking.

4. DemonicFowl

Sep 4, 2014
    South Eastern Mass
  5. zanelee

Thank you so much!!!! I'm heading over now!

6. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Worm her as soon as u can. We had a pig who got skipped from worming accidently and she died. Vet did autopsy and said worms destroyed her lungs...I think it was lungs. Not to scare u but some people think its not necessary to worm ur animals. Just hope this shows people worms can be deadly to even big animals...

7. DemonicFowl

Sep 4, 2014
    South Eastern Mass

Great. Keep us posted on her progress just in case something pops up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by