several questions about soap making!

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by AK_Button_Mama, Feb 17, 2009.

1. AK_Button_Mama

AK_Button_Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    ok I am going to give a try at making soap but I am compiling all the info and techeniques and have a question or two that I need to ask....

I want to use a stick blender. can I use a plastic one or would the metal based on be better?

I am going around gathering all the items to make soap and I was looking for lye... the lowes has drano that says the ingredient is sodium hydroxide crystals. can this be used? if not could some one PLEASE put a link up here where I can order it online? I cant seem to locate it.

do you have a VERY basic reciepe that you would be willing to share? I am looking for something without fragrance and perhaps with goats milk. I would prefer my 1st batch to have the least amount of ingredients so I dont waste other stuff. I will use the soap but it wil be a hand soap for the kids more than likely.....

can I ask questions here and have you guys answer them?

thanks in advance guys you all rock!!!

2. AK_Button_Mama

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    now one knows huh!!!

3. mirecipes

mirecipes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2008
    There is a thread on soapmaking that has been going for awhile now [​IMG]

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=92933&p=1

As for the lye..
    For awhile it was real hard to find pure lye locally..But it sounds like it is available again these days (I still have some I bought last year so I haven't shopped for it)
    I hear the "drano" brand has metal shavings in it?

I prefer to use the stick blender with the stainless steel part that goes in the chemicals/oils..I don't know if plastic would work or not..I know that you should probably not use it on food after you use it to make soap [​IMG]

Mystic mountain sage has a good lye calculator..
    http://www.thesage.com/calcs/lyecalc2.php
    You can put in your basic ingredients and it will tell you how much lye to use..

Do you have a scale that measures grams?
    I probably would not use milk in your first recipe..
    Maybe just a lard/coconut oil/castor oil bar..
    I don't have the recipe for my last batch, but it turned out to have a nice creamy lather with lots of bubbles..Its a great shampoo bar [​IMG]

4. AK_Button_Mama

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    I was planning on my first batch being an extremely basice bar of lard, evoo, and coconut oil with water and lye. I was niot even going to add any scent but I think I will try it becasue its added at the end.

when do you add colors if you want to add pretty streaks? also is there a special kind of coloring or would food coloring work?

I am also planning on everything being dedicated to soap makeing! there will be no using those items again!

5. mirecipes

mirecipes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2008
    I used cake coloring in these bars [​IMG]
    I got it at walmart in their craft section [​IMG]

[​IMG]

To make swirls..Take out some of the soap just before trace..Add color...mix till trace..Then pour your uncolored stuff, then add the colored stuff (soap)..Then swirl..

Edited to add : In this batch, I used red for the first color..Then used blue for the swirl..Then poured into pvc pipe, after it had set up..I pushed it out (not easy [​IMG] and sliced it

Someone else might have a better way..
    But this is what I did [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  6. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2008
    NW IL Fiber Enabler
    AK,
    I have a soapmaking page that has pictures (using milk). It also has recipes & suppliers.

If you have more questions, just holler!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by