Several questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mrmagpie, Feb 11, 2017.

1. mrmagpie

mrmagpie New Egg

Feb 11, 2017
    I've read through some of the posts here but just want to get some clarification. Our set-up is pretty simple. We have 6 chicks in a large tupperware container (like bathtub large) inside a bathtub. I have a heat lamp with a red bulb above on one side with mason jar feeder and waterer on the other side so they have one hot and one cooler side. The temperature is currently hovering around 28-30 celsius but I've noticed a couple of chicks panting (or at least thats what it looks like). They seem to eat fine and I think they are drinking fine but i'm not sure. I raised up the heat lamp a bit thinking perhaps they are too hot but they always all fall asleep on that side of the container like they are all trying to stay warm so I'm a bit confused to be honest.

By the way, there are 3 black maran and 3 easter eggers so I don't know if that makes a difference?

They are two weeks old pretty quick here so I am just hoping for some help figuring out what I should do?

Thanks in advance

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Chicks will habitually return to sleep in the same place, so I wouldn't necessarily associate their choice of sleeping spot with the need for heat.

I brood my chicks in a room thats probably around 15c on a night time and remove the heat source at around 10 days. The kind of temps you have I'd consider very warm indeed. Rather than focus on the temperatures, I prefer to let the behaviour of the chicks tell me if they are comfortable or not. If chicks are cold, they will huddle together and chirp constantly.

What I do is keep the heat source on for the first 4-5 days, then turn if off during the day, and then turn it on before dark, (whilst gradually increasing the distance between the heat source and the chicks) and turn the heat source on an hour after dark, two hours after dark as the days progress. Kinda gradually weaning them off the need for heat.

Since you chicks are in the house, you are readily placed to hear your chicks chirping, so I would not hesitate the remove the heat source and keep an "ear out" for distress chirps. Maybe turn it off in the morning and then try leaving it off during the night, and monitor.

3. mrmagpie

mrmagpie New Egg

Feb 11, 2017
    That totally makes sense. The only worry I'd have is I live in Canada so it's quite cold here normally. My house is 20c on average and sometimes can get cooler so I wouldn't want them to get too cold. Everything I read keeps saying keep it at 28 but it feels like it must be too hot for them.

I just went in and moved the heat lamp up higher, to let things cool a bit more. I'll try turning it off tomorrow and see how they react. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Most welcome. As long as you are there to monitor things, there's little to worry about. Another member had a 10 day old escapee chick that spent two nights outside (in November) and showed up healthy and fine. They are not as fragile as we think.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by