Several week old chicks out in garage.

Birddog1148

Songster
11 Years
Mar 8, 2012
Sandusky Ohio
Ok late March in Ohio and I have some new to me Cornish Cross chicks and 2 I think Barred Rock chicks from TSC. Three weeks ago I brought home 4 of the biggest CC chicks home and 2 Bared rock chicks. These things grow much faster than the pullets I got last year. The 50 gal tote brooder I had was getting small and they were stinking up the basement. So I put up a temporary 4x8x3 coop in the garage next to my 4x8 coop for my layers. And when I picked up more pine shavings to put in the new coop I picked up 6 more CC chicks that they said were 3 weeks old. And everybody moved out to the garage with the big girls. Well I woke up this morning to a couple inches of snow on the ground. So I have not opened the pop door for the girls (even though they wont go out in the snow much, they like the door open. The new coop has a heat lamp. Should I be worried about the temp for the new ones with the pop door open? Everyone seemed fine this morning. they seem to either be eating or in a pile under the lamp. And the big girls want their door open to see whats going on outside.

Maybe put a tarp around the younger ones to keep the heat in until they are featherd out. I know my older ones have to see what's going on takes a walk outside since she thinks she's the big boss LOL. I just kept my younger one's in the house they are 5weeks now. But as long as your able to keep the heat in the brooder for the young ones it shouldnt be a problem.

I don’t have a clue how much your garage will cool off if you open that pop door. What you could do is put a draft guard around the young ones to keep the breeze and wind off them and try it. Watch the younger chicks. If they act cold, do something about it. If they don’t act cold, you are good to go.

On the snow, I find mine are usually afraid of it just like they are afraid of anything new. But usually after a day or two looking at it, one will get brave and try it. Once they get used to it, mine go out and forage for food if grass and weeds are sticking up out of it.

Ok, put some plastic up over them.

My big girls are wussies and only come out a foot or so in the snow, been that way all winter if we get much more than a half inch.

Yes looks better! They aren't fully feathered yet so be careful about drafts--the plastic should protect them a little more.

getting big,all are doing well, notice the Drunken Chicken holder at the top of the pic? lol
They look like my babies very cute. I'm glad the cover for them worked out well and the run looks great, my Barred Rock has no issue going out in the snow in fact we can't keep her away from it she will try and push us out the way to go in the snow. I kept the run cover so no snow would get it because the silkies like to go outside.

Back
Top Bottom