severe chronic constipation - need a chicken doctor

Status
Not open for further replies.

earthfriendlyfarm

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 20, 2009
Ellijay
I am the end of my knowledge and all the wonderful suggestions everyone has offered....but my 3 month old buff has always had constipation. We have had to dig out of her vent large marble sized obstructions. She spends a lot of time straining to poop. And nothing wil come out. So I take her and soak and clean and dislodge what I can. And even add a 2 or 3cc warm water enema. I give her acv and have given her molasses, and dewormed her and she expelled a 5 inch tape worm. So dewormed and even used antibiotics session. I have tried cooked egg yolks. It seems every week I have to take her to the spa to clean her little vent.

Today is bad. She has a hard encrustation all around her little vent and on the inside. I dig out what I can, and give an enema and give her a cooked egg yolk, but she is very hot.

Please help me find a chicken doctor in north georgia

giving the enema is only causing the bowel to not work properly
do this

THE BEST METHOD IS THIS
1 CUP OF PLAYSCHOOL SAND ADDED TO 1 GALLON OF THE CHICK FEED

FEED THIS TILL CHICKENS ARE REGULATED
AND NO IT IS NOT A GRIT

you will need to use some wet mash probiotics for the chickens also

THIS IS FOR YOUR CHICKENS NOW
but now you have a gut problem with the E.coli
and it needs to have the Vitamin E put in the wet mash probiotic to help the E.coli gut problem
do this

now the
natural probiotic recipe is is:
1/2 qt of dry crumbles
3/4 QT of milk, sweet, sour, or buttermilk or a mixture of all or some
1/4 cup of non flavored yoguart ( no artificial sweetmer)
mix good
YOU CAN ADD LAST ON TOP OF WET MASH
1/4 CUP OF APPLE SAUCE AS THEY WILL EAT THAT GOOD

NOW THE IMPORTANT INGRIEDIENT FOR EACH CHICKEN FED
and add 1- 1000 mg of Vit E by cutting the end off the vit E capsule for each chicken fed this wet mash
putting it in the wet mash

this for each chicken your treating
so for each chick use 2 tbsp of mixture and 1-1000 mg of Vit E

twice a day for them till the manure is solid

and feed each chicken
2 tbsp full of the wet mash probiotic and what they will clean up in 20-30 minutes
then clean wet feeders and restock dry crumbles

do this twice a day for a week
till the chickens manure is right
then quit the Vit E make just the wet mash probiotic
then once a week for life

All the while after mdicating the birds use ACV IN THE WATER
do not use ACV with medication

2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar per gallon of the chicken water so their gut flora wil be regulated they should have this at least 3-5 days a week
then three days aweek after they are over coccidiosis

the vit's are neccessary to clean up the damaged gut problem
email me any questions so you are not confused

Quote:
You'll want an avian vet. By the way, with what did you worm? Because not all wormers, not even my favorite ivermectin, will worm for tapes. And you're sure it was a tape, right? Flat? Segmented?

By the way you'll want to worm all your flock with a tapeworm wormer.

I'd call UGa and ask if they can make a recommendation for you:
Athens, GA - Grace Wilson (U of GA) - 706-542-3221

I don't know if Decatur is near, but here's another:
Decatur, GA - Mimi Shepherd (For Pet's Sake Inc) - 404-248-8977

Those are both avian certified vets, which is what you want. They can recommend a vet that would be appropriate, can potentially consult with them via phone for any questions, that might be more near you.

I wonder if her cecum isn't emptying? Would you let us know if you find something out, please? I'd like to learn.

I would say that the heat id from infection in the body
especially if you wormed her and she expelled a worm

she has a serious problem with the fecal matter not expelling out the body

so hope the vets there abouts will know what to give her

any questions email me

Okay, so found a local Vet who works with Chickens, since the UGA vet suggested was 2 1/2 hour drive one way. Took "Lil Eagle" in and he found she may have a viral infections with a secondary bacterial infection of the intestinal tract. Her temp was 107.4 by the time I got her there.Symptom of viral. She has had chronic constipation for 2 months. It gets better then worse, but at times she is impacted, I have to dig it out and administer a warm water enema. Which atleast would help with her severe straining. Poor baby! He thinks she could have a section of bowel that doesn't have the parastalsis it should. And then with me aiding her in eliminating enough to get her unblocked to go, could have caused a tear where bacteria got in and hence the secondary bacterial infections. So after a good exam, we decided to give her is Baytril liquid 1cc orally every othyer day for 3 times to try to get the viral symptoms undercontrol. and Banamine 0.3 ml twice daily for up to 2 weeks for the bacterial infection.

Plus we are adding to support her recovery, metamucil to soften her stools, B6,B12 and folic acid to make sure she is not suffering from white meat disease and what ever she doesn't use will just be eliminated. Vitamine E 1000mg twice a day to help repair intestinal tract, add pumpkin to food along with parakeet grit, yogurt inbetween the anitbiotic treatments and vaseline put on her butt. I think that is it.

I feel much better and I think she does too. On the way home, I was putting cool wet clothes under her wings and neck/tummy and she started to get pretty perky and ate a bunch of her starter mash. I just got to get her drinking more. I just checked her temperature and went from 107.4 down to 105 in 2 + hours. PLUS I was lightly tickling under her wings to let cool air get in and she started doing the cutest little sounds....I think she was laughing! xxoo Ain't nature great! Keep your fingers crossed we continue in this healing direction.

Thanks for your help and support. Hope this helps some else.

Quote:
Just fyi, so you'll know: Banamine is actually an anti-inflammatory. Baytril is the antibiotic. Is he concerned that she has bacillary white diarrhea disease? Pullorum? Did he test? If it's a concern, the NPIP has a testing program to eliminate the worry of that from your flock. When I was showing, I did that yearly.

Incidentally, when you say yogurt "inbetween" treatments - he means daily yes? Right now, rather than afterwards? Just checkin'.
smile.png

6. No Spam. Spamming is posting the same thing several times. "Bumping" (posting to move a thread up on the forum list) and cross-posting (posting the same thread in several forums) are examples of spam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom