Severe diarrhea in doeling, need advice.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by taraann81, Sep 13, 2009.

1. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    I went out to the barn this morning to do the morning chores, my 6 month old alpine doeling (up to date on shots and deworming) Has severe liquid diarrhea. She is not running a fever but is listless.

What shall I do?

Besides put in a call to the vet(done, waiting to hear back)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  2. ()relics

()relics horse/dog shrink

Jan 4, 2009
    indiana
    does she show any signs of bloat?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  3. CaGoatLady

CaGoatLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    Auburn, CA
    Could she have eaten a poisonous plant or something? When my guys are out grazing along the neighbor's property, eating whatever THEY have growing over there, and they come back with the liquid diareah, I give them charcoal and plenty of water.

4. taraann81

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    We just got back from the vet. He suggested 15-20mls of pepto bismol every 2 hrs along with 30mls of electrolytes every hr. By the time we got her there she had spiked a temp of 103.

He also gave her an injection which I have to repeat once a day for the next 4 days. He thinks she has a touch of pneumonia and said the stress from that and the fever could be causing her diarrhea.

5. jojo@rolling acres farm

[email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    I'm really glad that you were able to get her to the vet. I hope she's feeling better soon. I might suggest that you add pro bio's to your plan until she's back to normal. You can get a gel in the horse department in farm stores. It'll help get her back on track. I've used extra strenght Pepto - with good results. Good Luck, keep us posted.

6. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Take her off any grains she may be getting....Hay and just a few alfalfa pellets...Make sure she is drinking well and also has cud!!!! Open her mouth and smell, make sure that stummy is still working please.

Ditto....on the Probios!

Will be praying for the both of you.
    Take good care and let us know how she is!

7. ilroost

ilroost Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2007
    weldon il.
    make a paste ball out of baking soda i

8. mamabird

mamabird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    App. Mtn's
    Did he check her for coccidia? Vacc and wormings don't do anything for that problem. Can cause bad diarrhea....

9. taraann81

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    He didn't check her for coccidia he didn't run a fecal test at all. I suppose if she doesn't improve fast I will take her back.

10. mamabird

mamabird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    App. Mtn's
    Get a sample and take to him to run a fecal...soon. Cocci can get them down quick! It's very common, and I'm suprised that he didn't check for it with the yucky diarrhea. Dimethox or Albon works great - it's oral and needs to be given for 5 days. Check out thegoatspot.net for some great goat advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by