Severe eye damage*pics*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by buck-wild-chick, Dec 31, 2009.

1. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    I found this rooster in my feed shed this morning.
    His eye is swollen and draining yellow puss?
    The whole eye is yellow which doesn't come off and it smells rotten.
    I'm going to start him on tetracycline shots but can he have Penicillin? If so how many cc's ?
    I'm sure he will loose the eye but would it be better for me to go ahead and cull?
    Looks like an old injury possibly days, the infection might kill him anyways.
    What would you do?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    he has got to be in terrible terrible pain.

3. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    is he one of your roosters or a stray that made is way to you?

I would treat with antibiotics and a warm compress to draw the infection out

4. buck-wild-chick

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    We have alot of chickens and about 15 of them have started their own colony at my grandparents and stay in the trees over there.
    He undoubtedly couldn't find food in the wild and ended up in my grain bin this morning.

Guess I should just put him down because he would never be tamed or escape from predators [​IMG]

5. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Quote:with one good eye he should be able to get around fine. Poor thing. Good of you to help but if you have to cull thats ok too, but I would try treating first.

6. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I just recently got a Silkie that had the same yellow pus covering his eyeball, looked just like your roo. I was sure he would be blind or die from the illness. I put Terramycin ointment in the eye and started him on Tylan 50 injections. After the injections were done-3 days, I waited 3 days and put some Duramycin powder in their water (all 3 Silkies were sick). I was afraid of them having too much medicine, but they weren't recovering very well and I figured I had nothing to lose. They all recovered and the yellow coating in the eye came out of the eye in one round piece about 5-6 days into treatment. Oh I also wiped the eye with a wet cloth each day to get it open. He can see fine out of both eyes now.

Hope your roo recovers!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  7. buck-wild-chick

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    Thanks Sunangel.Ill give him a week and see if he improves with the antibiotics and ointments

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by