Severe frostbite on both of my chickens feet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by myhumandog, Mar 6, 2014.

1. myhumandog

myhumandog New Egg

Mar 6, 2014
    Tilton, NH
    My Red Star chicken was limping and i noticed both of its feet were black and frostbitten. I have her inside now and one of her feet seems ok she can hop around on it but the other foot is black and all the toes are curled up and they are hard to move. She is my favorite bird in my flock and by far the nicest and i don not intend on putting her down. So my question is do you think her bad foot will just fall off and she just be left with a foot and a nub? I can post pictures if anyone wants to see. PLEASE HELP ME!!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Posting a picture will help. Frostbite to the feet can happen after a chicken steps into a pan of water then frigid air hitting the skin. If you can bring her inside you could soak her feet twice a day in warm epsom salts, dry them thoroughly, then apply Neosporin ointment or antiseptic spray to the feet. It may take weeks for the toes or foot to fall off, but chickens can sometimes get around well enough on a stump. Here are a couple of threads to read about the subject:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/458475/frostbitten-feet-prosthesis-ideas
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/842760/frost-bitten-feet

3. Chaoticchickens

Chaoticchickens Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2013
    Northeast, Pa
    i have had this happen before. They get around just fine on a stump. Just make sure to keep it clean until it falls off and heals fully.

4. myhumandog

myhumandog New Egg

Mar 6, 2014
    Tilton, NH
    Sorry to say, we had to put her down last week :(

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry about your loss.

6. DelcoChix

DelcoChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Central Ohio
    I really do feel for your loss....did the exact same thing one week ago today...for same reason. My lovely 5 year old BCM hen, Mary, had a case of bumblefoot that I was working on, then realized she also had gotten frostibit during one of the infamous Polar Vortexes that hit us hard. I realized later, to my chagrin, it was my fault indirectly, that she got frostbite. I think when the waterer leaked out, she must have stepped in the resulting puddle and with her feathery feet-- that's all it took. I tried to solve the waterer problem, obviously not soon enough. Just didn't realize this could happen, the extreme winter was hard on my birds.
    Anyways. tried salve, keeping it clean and dry, wrapped...after 2 months she was losing weight and sadly hobbling around with a black foot and swollen leg, plus black toes on the other foot. She was in pain and slowly distancing herself from the rest of the ladies. Thanks goodness for my husband and a good friend--they did the deed while I cried in the house.
    I'm not a very good pioneer woman.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by