Severe heat almost took my best hen!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by trunkman, Jun 24, 2010.

1. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    When I came home yesterday I went to the coop to find my oldest and best laying hen panting and trying to gulp air. The coop has two windows that I keep wide open but in this 95 to 100 degree heat is taking its toll even if I do have ventilation, and the humidity here in SC is extremely high. Anyway I turned and started to walk away when I heard her cluck, she had turned after she layed her egg. She then tried to get up and just stumbled and fell on her side, I thought she tripped but she got up again and fell forward, it was about 98 degrees so I figured she was having a hard time of it so I went to get the hose, when I got back she had fallen out of the coop and was laying flat with her head bobbing up and down, she was in really bad shape. I figured she was overheated so I turned the hose on to a mist and started to spray her down, I kept it up for a few minutes but she just dropped her head to the ground like she was giving up. I gave her a quick spray of cool water in the face and it shocked her and she opened her eyes and tried to lift her head but couldn't find the strength and started to go again, I repeated the spraying mist in her face and her body for the next half hour or so and she started to shiver so I stopped not knowing what to do next and moved her to a dry spot. She started to come to for a few minutes but started to go again so I got a fan out and put it in front of her and hoped for the best, after about an hour she started holding her head up again so I put water to her beak but drank very little. By dark she was walking to the coop door like she wanted to go in, so I lifted her in and put water next to her hoping I would find her ok in the morning. well she made it. Today was 98 here, she was panting again but seemed better, I put a fan out in front of the coop and opened the door before I went to work, when I got home she was still panting but ok. I just put her back in the coop a few minutes ago and she went straight for the food and drank some water so I think she may be ok. Keeping fingers crossed.... [​IMG]

2. SuziQ991

SuziQ991 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Missouri
    It sounds like you got to her just in time. I just had the same thing happen. Unfortunately I lost one but saved another. She was stumbling the same way yours was. I filled a bucket with water and dunked her in. I had to do it a few more times but she finally pulled out of it. The heat is terrible here also. I've been putting ice packs down for them to lay on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by