Severe Leg Ulcer

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by portiaraylee, Oct 13, 2013.

1. portiaraylee

portiaraylee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2010
    Winamac, IN
    I have a two year old Tom Bronze Turkey that has a severe ulcer on the back of his knee due to his not moving much. He has always had problems walking, and now this. I am torn between having him put down and trying to treat the sore. How would I treat such a wound?

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    How is your tom doing?

3. portiaraylee

Apr 27, 2010
    Winamac, IN
    It fluctuates. We were using Silver oxide creme and it didn't get better but it didnt get worse. Then when we ran out of that, we began using hydrogen peroxide, alcohol and coating it with vaseline, which made it get much worse, much more of the wound tissue turning black and hard. Then last week a friend gave me some vertricyn and after one application some of the dead skin fell off, revealing new bright pink flesh underneath. Very promising. But he cannot put weight on it, and we are afraid of him losing use of it, being able to move it, even if the wound does heal. We will probably give him until the end of the month and then unfortunately have him culled. :(

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can you post a picture of it?

-Kathy

5. portiaraylee

Apr 27, 2010
    Winamac, IN
    He died today. :( How do I delete this thread?

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by