1. Oncoming Storm

Oncoming Storm Chirping

Jun 3, 2019
    So yesterday and today I’ve noticed that one of my olive eggers is limping pretty bad. Is there something I can do to help? He’s still getting around but I can tell he struggles.

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

You need to identify if he is injured... feel for swelling or heat.

Post a video if you are able.

What is his age? Is he being picked on? Was he vaccinated for Marek's?

azygous likes this.
  3. azygous

azygous Crossing the Road

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I agree with @EggSighted4Life that a video would be helpful.

How old is this chicken? Sex? look at the scales on feet and legs for signs of lift up indicating leg mites. Look for injuries to the pads on the feet and possible splinters.

Look at the toenails for signs of damage that can hurt quite a lot. Bruising from a sprain may show up as light green discoloration.

One baby aspirin twice a day can help with pain and inflammation. If this is a chick, cut the aspirin in half.

4. EggSighted4Life

Pain is the bodies way of slowing an animal down so they don't injure themselves worse.

Using pain relief is a good idea once the issue has been identified. Before identification has been confirmed I prefer not to mask symptoms. :thumbsup

azygous likes this.
  5. Oncoming Storm

Oncoming Storm Chirping

Jun 3, 2019
    I actually took a video but it wouldn’t let me post it :/. It was purchased on April 28 from TSC. We’re pretty sure it’s a male since it has a bright pink comb. It’s out with several older chickens but it tends to hang out with my bantam who’s only a few weeks older and is the same size and the other olive egger. The older ones only really pick on it when I feed but it’s just pecking. I wondered if one of my potbellies stepped on his foot or something.

6. EggSighted4Life

Feel for heat or swelling. What is his age?

Coming from TSC, will not likely have been vaccinated. Way too often it is Marek's. But injuries happen super easy too!

Most people have to use youtube or vimeo and post a link here.

How is he doing today? :fl

7. Oncoming Storm

Oncoming Storm Chirping

Jun 3, 2019
    He’s just shy of being two months. He’s still limping but it’s not worse than it was yesterday. We’ve bought a lot of chicks from TSC and have never had an issue before. I’ll try putting it one YouTube and link it.

8. Oncoming Storm

Oncoming Storm Chirping

Jun 3, 2019

Hopefully that worked :/

EggSighted4Life and Sequel like this.
  9. EggSighted4Life

Okay the video worked. He's a little cutie!

Were you able to feel any heat or swelling in his legs or feet or see any cuts? Ruling out injury before looking at other suspects is a good idea.

Have you been feeding him chick starter? Have you seen him eating and not bullied away from the feed, possibly causing a nutrient deficit?

10. Oncoming Storm

Oncoming Storm Chirping

Jun 3, 2019
    I haven’t been able to handle him yet. They are still on starter and I make sure all three of the smaller ones get to eat by throwing it in a smaller space so only they can get to it, placing it between my feet or hand feeding them until they’re satisfied.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: