Severe ND case

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Madiha Farhan, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Madiha Farhan

Madiha Farhan Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2016
    Pakistan
    Have a hen of 6 months old with ND signs, gasping for air, strange sounds while breathing.. ND vaccine already done.. given doses of oxytetracyclin but no improvement and no vet nearby..

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
  3. Madiha Farhan

Jul 26, 2016
    Pakistan
    vaccine is administrated every month.. she is really in trouble my poor "Peeliri".. I think I am going to loose her tonight.

4. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Interesting.
    Where do you find the vaccine?
    Does the vet do this?

I'm sorry she is not improving. Is it possible she is having a reaction to the vaccine?
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/111/newcastle-disease-paramyxovirus-1/

Unfortunately ND and other contagious respiratory diseases can be hard to treat. Try to make her as comfortable as you can.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  5. Madiha Farhan

Jul 26, 2016
    Pakistan
    No there isn't any vet nearby.. But its my love my interest, I vaccine them every month coz its very hard to bear the loss.. What???? Reaction to the vaccine??

6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post a photo of you chicken and the bottle of the vaccine that you use?
    What is the name of the vaccine?

7. Madiha Farhan

Jul 26, 2016
    Pakistan
    Name of vaccine is hipraviar ND + IB.. I culled he as she was not in condition..

8. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry about your hen.

You may want to research your vaccine protocol. I'm no expert, but generally vaccine is administered 1day after chick hatches and repeated at 35-40days of age. It looks like it can possibly be given at 3month intervals, but usually this is large hatchery operations.
    Research will be a really good idea, vaccinating every month may be too much, and birds can possibly have a reaction to the vaccine which will make them show signs of illness.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps030

https://www.hipra.com/wps/portal/we...ductos/PH/127555/119923_PH/127501_PH/40773_PH

9. Madiha Farhan

Jul 26, 2016
    Pakistan
    Oh thank you so much.. I'll search and even consult vet 120 kms away from my city..

10. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

I agree...You might be doing things wrong...?
    Could it be the LT1 Virus? Sounds like it to me...Respiratory infection. If so? They will get better but be carriers for life...I used OXY TETRA-A...Until symptoms went away. 1 tsp. per four L. in water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by