Severe outbreak of H5N8 in my local area!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by beethechicken, Jan 5, 2017.

1. beethechicken

beethechicken Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2016
    I have no idea what the symptoms in birds are of this influenza and I'm feeling desperate as I can't find any mention of symptoms on the internet! Newspapers are saying to keep poultry indoors and limit all contact with wild birds..... the only thing I can think of is our stables but I know the wild birds can get in and out very easily..... I would really really love any advice or recommendations on what to do to protect my flock!!!!!

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Take a deep breath.......
    Okay - what is your general location (asking as there are many state based resources that may be available for you to reach out to)? Are there any bodies of water on or very near your property? Wild waterfowl or the most common carrier of avian influenza - so being aware of and taking steps to address those things that can draw them into proximity to your domestic flocks is one step you can take to lessen the risk of infection. Another important step is to avoid any situations that involve co-mingling of flocks - ie shows, swaps, etc *and* to practice good bio-security for your person with regards to if you visit somewhere that other birds are and then come back to your own property. Be thoughtful about having other people in the areas in which you keep your flock. If you are not already, this is a great time to become familiar with good bio-security practices for humans and birds.

This is one fairly plainly worded tip sheet on dealing with this concern - there are many out there, some more in depth, just let your fingers do the walking and start doing some reading, but be careful of the sources you rely on - try to stick to more "official" sources such as agricultural education facilities, state animal health regulatory bodies, etc.

https://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/poulsci/tech_manuals/preventing_avian_influenza_backyard.pdf

3. melliston

melliston Just Hatched

Dec 24, 2016
    Ft Pierce, FL
    Contact your state veterinarian to get recommendations. Where are you located?

4. beethechicken

Jul 19, 2016
    Hi, thank you so much for responding and for the info!! I am located on the south west coast of Wales so there are a lot of seagulls and water fowl near me. My flock usually are free range. However, at the moment I've put them in a large walk in run with bird proof netting over the top, just to be sure....

5. Kay Kew

Kay Kew Just Hatched

Sep 20, 2016
    I wonder is bird proof netting sufficient protection if the virus can be spread via bird droppings? In other words, if droppings fall onto the netting and then it rains, or the droppings dry out and fragment enough to pass through the mesh, might that not allow the virus to get into the pen? Perhaps a waterproof tarpaulin type covering on the roof of the pen would be a safer option? However, I am certainly not an expert at all on the spread of H5N8, though am aware that it has now been found in a duck (wigeon) in Co. Wexford and most recently there is a case reported from Galway I think.

6. Kay Kew

Kay Kew Just Hatched

Sep 20, 2016
    Also something I wondered about myself is whether or not it would be possible for those of us who own just a handful of birds as pets, could get them vaccinated against the virus. I contacted my vet a while ago and at that stage they seemed to be hardly aware at all of the potential threat (no cases in Ireland at that stage), and while they said that birds in Dublin Zoo might be vaccinated, the minimum batch of vaccine that could be obtained by a vet was so large that it would not make sense for them to get it in, as so few people would avail of it...at least I think that's more or less what the message was. It seems a shame that the same level of protection we can give to our dogs against serious contagious diseases is not apparently available for our poultry!

7. beethechicken

Jul 19, 2016
    That's terrible! Yeah I was wondering if I could get mine vaccinated too but apparently not!

8. beethechicken

Jul 19, 2016
    Oh I didn't know it could be transmitted in that way! Thank you for the warning! I guess I know what I'll be setting up tomorrow. Yeah I heard about the widgeon and I also read somewhere about a massive flock of ducks being culled in France... devastating.... gosh I'd hate to have to do that.

9. starrmar006

starrmar006 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2017
    whats H5N8?

10. melliston

melliston Just Hatched

Dec 24, 2016
    Ft Pierce, FL

H5N8 is a strain of Avian Influenza

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by