Severe pasty butt! Please help!

monicatg

In the Brooder
Jun 25, 2015
One of our chickens hatched her chicks about a week ago. She has been caring for them but one of the last to hatch has pretty bad pasty butt. From what I know it is common in chicks bought from a feed store due to stress or too hot temperatures. Since the chick is being raised by her mother I'm confused as to why she has it. Yesterday evening we noticed the chick wasn't eating and was lethargic. We brought her inside and found her vent and surrounding down were completely covered. I used warm water and hygroden peroxide to soften and loosen it. I was able to completely clear the vent. This morning she wasn't keeping up with the others and saw that her vent was plugged up again. I did the same I was able to clean her up again. I used Vaseline to clear her downy feathers away from the vent. She's still pretty lethargic and won't drink unless it's with a dropper and won't eat. We are feeding all the chicks medicated crumble and water with added electrolytes.

What is the best way to prevent pasty butt? How do I get the chick to eat and drink?

From everything I have experienced with pasty butt (I've treated 10 this year alone so far) once a chick gets it if you only have to treat it once you are lucky. Usually after the second time treating it I don't have to do the same chick again. Grit in their food definitely help and making sure the temp in the brooder isn't too hot helps also. (you don't have to worry about that since they are with mom). I'm guessing the chick had it for a while before you found it. Electrolytes or apple cider vinegar in the waterer will definitely help that chick gain energy again.

Last edited:
After cleaning her up I tried putting her back with the rest but her mom seems to be ignoring her. She even stepped on her tiny head! She struggles to keep up with the others. I immediately took her back inside and she's under a heat lamp now. I've been monitoring but the temperature to make sure it's not too warm. She still not eating (all the other haved learned already) and will only drink with a dropper (while all the others drink out of the water dish). I've noticed some droppings in the pine shavings which means her vent isn't plugged but she still has some around the vent.

Any ideas on how to get her to eat and keep the vent clear?

Sorry, I think the Momma Hen knows the Chick is not thriving..:(...I hatched 12 Chicks 3 weeks ago under my Broody Hen...She pecked the one to death that was not thriving...:(.....All the other Chicks she is raising ..:)....Sounds like something is wrong with the Chick...:(

Best wishes ..:)

Cheers!

Do you have any molasses? give the chick a drop of molasses. it regulates the bowel . that may help.
Or do you have poultry Nutri drench ,? it's molasses-based
you can give the chick a drop of that and repeat it every eight to ten hours until the chick is perky .
Karen

Back
Top Bottom