Severe Pecking Injury

erank

In the Brooder
Nov 18, 2016
I have four girls, all about 20 weeks. My Ameraucana attacked my Brahma last week - first time I've encountered this. A little blood and many lost feathers - but she will be OK. I came home today to find a severe attack on my sweet Lavender Orpington, Lucy. I am at a loss for words. I know the very basics of chicken wound care... but would appreciate any advice on how to best help Lucy. At what point do I need a to see a vet?

I have four girls, all about 20 weeks. My Ameraucana attacked my Brahma last week - first time I've encountered this. A little blood and many lost feathers - but she will be OK. I came home today to find a severe attack on my sweet Lavender Orpington, Lucy. I am at a loss for words. I know the very basics of chicken wound care... but would appreciate any advice on how to best help Lucy. At what point do I need a to see a vet?

Hi
frow.gif
Welcome To BYC

If you have access to vet care, that is always best.

It's hard to tell by the photo, but is the skin pulled away?

General wound care is the flush/cleanse the wound with saline or diluted betadine, apply triple antibiotic ointment or vetericyn to the wound. Watch to see that she is eating/drinking - offer her some poultry vitamins and extra protein like egg or tuna if you feel she needs a boost.

Check out some of the great articles in the learning center and by searching here on BYC about feather picking, causes and prevention.

Let us know how she's doing.

Thanks. I cant get a good picture - its much worse than whats visable here. I believe the skin is torn. A lot. Bright red everywhere. I cleaned her a bit with hyd peroxide and put some Vetericyn on. She is calm and generally alert - I hope thats a good sign. Vet opens 8am. Fingers crossed for this gentle girl.

Hi welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sorry you are having trouble. BluKote is a product that hides the red to prevent pecking from girls interested in the wound, not in general. And I believe it has some antibacterial properties though you will have to check.

I agree that getting to the root cause is important. Are the feathers being eaten? Is there enough space? Is nutritional balance off for some reason like too many treats?

Odd to have an Ameraucana or at least an EE being aggressive like that. They are usually near the bottom of my pecking order with Orpington being up there. But my Lav is much gentler than my Buff.

I would isolate the offender and return the other girl asap if she is eating and drinking well AND not being pecked at or picked on by others. Unless your girl needs stitches probably isn't much more a vet can do for you as long as you avoid infection and she doesn't need stitches. Red and swelling is a natural response. If she seems to be in pain she can get some aspirin in the water though I am unsure of dose. If you don't have electrolytes on hand, simple recipe is... 2 cups warm water, 1/2 teaspoon each baking soda and salt, 2 tablespoons brown sugar (white is OK). Stir until dissolved and serve full strength. Poly vi sol baby vitamins with NO iron can be added if you have it.

Good luck!
fl.gif

Thanks. I cant get a good picture - its much worse than whats visable here. I believe the skin is torn. A lot. Bright red everywhere. I cleaned her a bit with hyd peroxide and put some Vetericyn on. She is calm and generally alert - I hope thats a good sign. Vet opens 8am. Fingers crossed for this gentle girl.
Sounds good. Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom