Severe Problems with Buff Rock Hen's Egglaying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by vbgarden, Jul 2, 2008.

1. vbgarden

vbgarden Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2008
    Virginia Beach
    I have several Buff Rock hens. All get laying mash, grit and some extra oyster shell grit during laying season, enhanced by garden gleanings and bugs from their outside pen which has a hay base.

One of them has terrible problems with her egg laying. She lays eggs with very thin shells, then no eggs for several days, then terribly lumpy deformed eggs. She's also taken to eating her eggs that break and I'm afraid she's become an egg-eating addict.

All the other hens are fine, wonderful eggs, no problems.

At first, I thought she might be eating the eggs in an instinctive attempt to balance something she was missing, but no other hens have this problem. I isolated her with one roo who would also eat some of the egg... and now I notice HE's starting to get in the nest box and root around -- looking for egg to eat, I think! I've never, ever had a rooster get into a nest box. Good grief, should I just get rid of them both???

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Perhaps she'd make good soup?

3. vbgarden

vbgarden Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2008
    Virginia Beach
    She's almost two years... I'm thinking stew. Unfortunately, I never can actually bring myself to eat them. How sad.
    sadly,
    Syb

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'm sorry I couldn't come up with a better solution.

It must make you very sad.

When I was young we had a hen like that once. My brother brought her in all skinned for my mom to make soup with, he said he couldn't afford to feed her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by