Severe Prolapse on my Rhode Island Red..... is it too late to do anything?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by keita, Dec 14, 2014.

1. keita

keita Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2012
    Matthews, NC
    My Red is a happy chicken, or so it seems. She is eating, pooping, looks great as she has just come back into full feather and is not laying right now (but none of my chickens are). I have been recently busy with a new granddaughter and have not made close inspections of the chicks since no one is laying currently. Today though when I did have some time to spend with them, I noticed what I assume is a prolapse condition........... but an extreme one. Under all her feathers, Red has an almost egg sized bulge hanging between her legs. I noticed she does have some poop stuck on her feathers near her vent which is why I looked at all and found this. All I read says to use Prep H and try to move it back inside. I don't see there is anyway to move this mass back. Any suggestions beside cleaning off the poop? Is there anything I can do for her? As i said, she is her normal happy (apparently) self and has no drooping wings, can't poop, lack luster symtoms that i have read about. She is the queen of the coop and no one has pecked or bothered her but as I said this mass is between her legs, not up by the vent. Suggestions??

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Could you post a picture of the mass? Does it feel hard like it could be an egg? If it's not an egg, then she may have a cyst or growth. I would watch her to make sure the others don't peck at the mass.

3. keita

keita Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2012
    Matthews, NC
    [​IMG]
    Here is a picture.....The sack is soft, it's not an egg........any ideas?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The mass could be a hernia, but I have also seen some cysts containing strange combinations of tissue called teratomas which can originate in the ovary. I have heard of hens living with these for a couple of years.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by