severe weather should chickens be put away

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tgblldog70, Jun 29, 2012.

1. tgblldog70

tgblldog70 Chirping

Jul 20, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    we have some severe weather coming our way and our chickens are free ranging right now should I put them back in their coop its still very warm here but it has the potential of getting nasty whats your take and hurry I have about 30 mins

2. I think I would put them up I heard it was suppose to bad up your way.

3. tgblldog70

tgblldog70 Chirping

Jul 20, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I have evyone buttoned up they were not happy about it I did it just in the nick of time too. its nasty

4. I wish we would get some rain. I hope it does not stay hot and get more humid because of the rain in other words hope the rain makes the weather pleasent for you and your chickens.

5. tgblldog70

tgblldog70 Chirping

Jul 20, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    well the temp dropped to 67* and just SE of us they had tornado warnings we had winds at 50mph some damage I am glad I got hte chickens away in time I will let them out when the thunder and lightening finally stop. its still a little rough out. I can hear the chickens complaining out in their pen, but they are staying in there until I know there wont be anymore flying debris.

6. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator

Jan 11, 2007
    NE Washington State
    I have cleaned this thread. If you cannot contribute helpfully, then please exit the thread.

Remember that the report button is your friend and responding to rude posts is a form of trolling and is not helpful and just exacerbates the problem.

The rules are here
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/terms-of-service

Please pay particular attention to the first "do".

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  7. Stumpy

Stumpy Songster

Apr 15, 2008
    I'm glad you and your chickens came through the storm okay. Our problem here is the 105-degree temps and no rain.

8. I'm glad you got them in then! I can just see the head line women hit in head by flying debris trying to save chickens.
    I only say that because it's something I would do rushing out during a bad storm to save a pet.

9. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland

Hey stumpy. Hope your chickens are doing OK too. In my neck of the woods in KY the highest reached 108.7 today! I don't recall any year where it has reached this high a temp. Right now it's down to 97.1 deg. and almost 7 pm. I kept the barn floor watered down most of the day for the flock and hosed the roof and walls a few times too.

10. News said it's going to be like this for the next 7 days. Doesn't watering the floor of the barn make it to humid? I was tempted to hose off roof and floor of the leanto the chicks are in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: