Severed leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cptkracker, Jul 11, 2010.

1. cptkracker

cptkracker Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    A racoon got to one of my pullets and severed the leg. Will this individual still be able to produce eggs effeiently and brood properly? If not what do you suggest as the best method of disposal. (I'm thinking drowning)

2. buffbuttercup

buffbuttercup Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Oregon
    oh please no drowning. get thyself a hatchet. and good luck with your bird, i hope it doesn't come to that!

3. cptkracker

Jul 11, 2010
    alright, hatchet it is. What i really need to know is if this chicken will still be able to be an asset and produce eggs and such. I do not mind having (and caring for) a one legged chicken if she still can do her chickenly duties.

4. buffbuttercup

buffbuttercup Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Oregon
    that part i don't know about. maybe if she is a small breed, but a heavy bodied breed will have no luck on one leg. hope someone else will chime in for better advise on that end. good luck!

5. cptkracker

Jul 11, 2010
    well she is a golden laced wyandotte. At about 5 months old she is aproaching 4-5 pounds so she is a larger chicken

6. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

I think with a bird of that size, her quality of life would be poor with just one leg. I would think that might affect her ability to breed, brood, lay, eat, drink, live....

I wish you luck. My heart goes out to ya.

7. DesertChick324

DesertChick324 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2010
    Palomino Valley/Reno, NV
    When caring for animals you have to think what it would be like if you were them. How would you like to have to poop or give birth while standing on only one leg? That is if you could even stand on one leg as a chicken. Please cut her head off and do her a favor.

8. cptkracker

Jul 11, 2010
    righty-o. sad but it happens. Atleast i made that coon pay

9. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Sorry for you - no leg deffinately a cull. What a shame I would cry buckets if it was one of my girls but be sure you are doing the right thing to cull. No foot poor girl can;t do anything. If it was a wing it wouldn;t be such an issue as they can live without any wings as they are flightless birds and learn to ballance without them but not for feet sadly. Do cull. I am with the others on that one.

Oesdog. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  10. Peregrine

Peregrine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    North Georgia
    We had the same thing happen last night--a coon bit the leg off of one of my 6 week old pullets.[​IMG]

DH and I cleaned and bandaged the stump, and she(?)'s doing OK, drinking some water with children's motrin mixed in. I've been looking all over this sight, trying to find out if a one-legged chicken can survive, and I've read a few posts that make me think it can. We are going to try it and see if she can get to her food and water on her own once her leg has healed up. If not, we'll just try to nurse her along until she's big enough for dinner.

I'll keep you posted on her progress. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by